55 Gallon Water Flow
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
chumblaka
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

55 Gallon Water Flow

I am helping my friend set up a 55 gallon thank. I have 2 ten gallons at home, both planted and running CO2. The thing is, I am used to seeing the CO2 bubbles flow the entirety of my tanks due to the diffuser being placed underneath the flow and the flow being strong enough to push the bubbles throughout the tank.

This is not the case with the 55 gallon. We have a Marineland canister filter rated at 55 gallons and with the CO2 diffuser placed directly underneath the output of the filter, the flow out of the canister filter only seems to push the CO2 a very small distance.

What can I do to increase this flow? I have jet nozzle and was thinking of adding a spray bar, but I really don't know.

Another reason besides CO2 circulation is movement. In my ten gallons the flow is powerful enough to move the plants and makes the overall experience of viewing the tank better and seemingly more natural. I would like to achieve this same effect on the 55 gallon tank since all the plants in the tank are just still with no movement at all.

Thanks for any tip/advice in advance!
chumblaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

As a general rule of thumb, any filter that has a "recommended for X tank size" rating will fall drastically short of what a typical hobbyist feels is suitable in terms of flow rate and water turnover.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Usually people get a powerhead to supplement the filter's flow. Place it near the filter's output and it should help a lot. Add one rated at about 500 gallons per hour so the flow is about 10x tank capacity.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #4
chumblaka
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
Usually people get a powerhead to supplement the filter's flow. Place it near the filter's output and it should help a lot. Add one rated at about 500 gallons per hour so the flow is about 10x tank capacity.
Thanks a lot. I went into the pet store today and decided to order some online since they are literally less than half the price online. -__-

I still want to get the the canister filter a spray bar. Where would I go to buy one? Anyone know? Or is the DIY route the easiest?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #5
jester56
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...222&highlight=

I had a similar problem with flow and the above thread may be of some small assistance. The circulating pump is an excellent way to do what you want.
Nikon Pimp #084
"The legal quarter of tight lipped men, push for order, then repeat again." KTP
jester56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #6
chumblaka
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester56 View Post
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...222&highlight=

I had a similar problem with flow and the above thread may be of some small assistance. The circulating pump is an excellent way to do what you want.
Thanks a lot. I was actually about to order a Marineland 1200 but from reading I think it might be overkill for the 55 gallon. The Marineland is on sale but I am not sure about the quality when compared to the Koralia.

(The Marineland is 16 dollars right now and the Koralia is double the prrice.)

I can either get two of the Marineland ones or a Koralia. Can anyone else recommend one from the other?