flood light LED's - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 05:27 PM   #121
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
james1542's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 506
Default

Scour ebay, if you buy them directly from china they will take weeks to arrive. There are US sellers, but they are all made in china regardless. Make sure it's not a 12v model.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #122
ReluctantHippy
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 330
Default

VVME has a California warehouse and a 1 year no hassle guarantee (I've tested it). You can find them on evilbay or with a google search. Hope it helps. And if you ask them for their "better price" they'll most often give you one.
__________________
ReluctantHippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #123
m00se
Wannabe Guru
 
m00se's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail84 View Post
Thanks for the info. I just ordered the first one. I will order the second one in a week or two (gotta stay within my wife and I's budget). Can't wait! And what a deal! $22 for a 20W LED!
Ya guys get us all excited and stuff with these lights. Now, I know I'm no brainiac or nuthin, and honest, I've read all through this thread twice, and I don't see a single item number for these lights here! I was intrigued by that round 20 watter, but when I go to ebay and search I find 250,000 led lights but not THAT light - would some kind soul please either enumerate each of these lights by item number here, or PM me if you feel un-inclined to do so in the forum? I was interested in the bright white units mostly, to hang 3 over a 40b.

Thanks in advance and if I missed the item numbers, mea culpa!

EDIT: I found 1 item number that worked.

m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #124
m00se
Wannabe Guru
 
m00se's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantHippy View Post
VVME has a California warehouse and a 1 year no hassle guarantee (I've tested it). You can find them on evilbay or with a google search. Hope it helps. And if you ask them for their "better price" they'll most often give you one.
Oh...oh my... YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU JUST DID!!!

srsbz, thanks for sharing that place!

Cheers
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #125
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (75/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,863
Default

I hope someone with a PAR meter will be tempted to buy one of those 10 watt lights and measure the PAR vs distance, and see how much area it covers. I'm tempted myself to try it.
__________________
Hoppy
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:31 AM   #126
Big O
Raider for life
 
Big O's Avatar
 
PTrader: (33/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: KCMO
Posts: 837
Default sorry!


those lights are ugly
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:38 AM   #127
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं
 
acitydweller's Avatar
 
PTrader: (174/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 7,690
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I hope someone with a PAR meter will be tempted to buy one of those 10 watt lights and measure the PAR vs distance, and see how much area it covers. I'm tempted myself to try it.
Hi Hoppy,

I have 6 types of fixtures over 6 tanks of nearly equal height. A friend with a par meter had come over and i ran tests but i neglected to write anything down.bad citydweller bad bad
__________________
"I am Groot", the faithful protector
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #128
ReluctantHippy
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Carmichael, CA
Posts: 330
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I hope someone with a PAR meter will be tempted to buy one of those 10 watt lights and measure the PAR vs distance, and see how much area it covers. I'm tempted myself to try it.
HEINEKEN357 did a test with a DIY PAR meter that he borrowed. Numbers he posted are as follows:

"Did a par test for you guys (par meter is diy that hoppy helped with) Hope it helps.
Measured from the meter to the light open air and right under the led.
10w led 6500k
12in 51par
15in 33par
18in 24par"

__________________

Last edited by ReluctantHippy; 01-20-2013 at 05:08 AM.. Reason: change of text
ReluctantHippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #129
Redtail84
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 65
Default

Moose, I just searched "LED floodlight day" an came up with a pretty good selection.
Redtail84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #130
le0p
Planted Member
 
le0p's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wilkes Barre, PA
Posts: 280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1542 View Post
Scour ebay, if you buy them directly from china they will take weeks to arrive. There are US sellers, but they are all made in china regardless. Make sure it's not a 12v model.

I was thinking about picking a couple of these up, looking at ebay there are a ton of these as 12v. Excuse the stupid question but, what's wrong with the 12v models? I'm not very electrically inclined.
__________________
le0p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #131
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru
 
Hoppy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (75/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 18,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantHippy View Post
HEINEKEN357 did a test with a DIY PAR meter that he borrowed. Numbers he posted are as follows:

"Did a par test for you guys (par meter is diy that hoppy helped with) Hope it helps.
Measured from the meter to the light open air and right under the led.
10w led 6500k
12in 51par
15in 33par
18in 24par"

That is very good! Those should work great on 10-20 gallon tanks, using one light for every foot of tank length.
__________________
Hoppy
Hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #132
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
james1542's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: WA
Posts: 506
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by le0p View Post
I was thinking about picking a couple of these up, looking at ebay there are a ton of these as 12v. Excuse the stupid question but, what's wrong with the 12v models? I'm not very electrically inclined.
12V is DC, typically the stuff you would run in your car, or on your boat. Your house is 120v AC. I suppose you could hook your light up to a power inverter and run it off AC. Probably easier to find one that is made for AC power.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:40 PM   #133
m00se
Wannabe Guru
 
m00se's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redtail84 View Post
Moose, I just searched "LED floodlight day" an came up with a pretty good selection.

Thanks Redtail - now....why didn't I think of that?! Actually, I did search, but didn't put "day" in the search terms. It made a difference!
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #134
m00se
Wannabe Guru
 
m00se's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,481
Default

I just wish these units weren't so darned ugly. Anyone feel like examining theirs and comment on what it would take to remove the guts and re-house these in an aesthetic fixture? Retro fit them into, say, a round deep shade like the 8" diameter ones I have?

m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #135
le0p
Planted Member
 
le0p's Avatar
 
PTrader: (4/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wilkes Barre, PA
Posts: 280
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1542 View Post
12V is DC, typically the stuff you would run in your car, or on your boat. Your house is 120v AC. I suppose you could hook your light up to a power inverter and run it off AC. Probably easier to find one that is made for AC power.
Thanks, that makes sense.
__________________
le0p is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012