Jaguar's Low Tech ADA 60-P (Tank of Failure) - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #91
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Jaguar

Bad. Within a matter of days the cyano exploded and came back. The HC didn't survive, nothing's growing. I don't know, on the fence about draining the tank and selling it. I'm pissed beyond belief about my regulator being broken, and it's REALLY hard for me to get it somewhere to get fixed in the middle of winter with all the snow and no car.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:34 AM   #92
TheGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Hang in there bro.

If you cant get co2 going, cover the tank with blanket for three days absolutely no light. That'll kill the algae, then don't use fertz and run the lights a shorter period. Itll keep the plants alive, but not provide a suitable growing environment... for anything. Then you can go back to normal once your co2 is fixed.

Ps. Can you please take pics up close of your stand especially corners ect. Also, what kind of finish was done? I am trying to make one or have one made for that matter but without having the seams like when formica or something similar is used. Thanks in advance.
TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:06 AM   #93
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've had it blacked out for 3 days now (just turned it on for pics) so I've got a head start

I don't have a proper camera but I took some seam pics of my stand. Apparently I need to take some nail polish remover and clean up the glue! The laminate is Pionite in Banker's Gray. The closest Formica color is Mouse. My stand was custom made so there's a few flaws like the door isn't quite flush with the front of the stand and the side holes are upside down, but it still looks great from viewing distance and it's incredibly sturdy. I love the look of the laminate and I don't mind the seams. It's super easy to clean too.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #94
TheGuy
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I've had it blacked out for 3 days now (just turned it on for pics) so I've got a head start

I don't have a proper camera but I took some seam pics of my stand. Apparently I need to take some nail polish remover and clean up the glue! The laminate is Pionite in Banker's Gray. The closest Formica color is Mouse. My stand was custom made so there's a few flaws like the door isn't quite flush with the front of the stand and the side holes are upside down, but it still looks great from viewing distance and it's incredibly sturdy. I love the look of the laminate and I don't mind the seams. It's super easy to clean too.

Good job man, I had the same problem as you a while back before I switched to reefing.. Now I'm back. That stand looks nice, couldn't tell it was laminate at first. I guess I'll get to building mine. Thanks
TheGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 AM   #95
koumchev
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi, I am sorry to hear about ur issues with the cyano. It might be the water or the spctrum of ur Light or the light too strong. I suggest to get RO system so fo r sure eliminate the problem with the tap water. I got mine for cheap from e-bay an it is very effective. Start all over again with the dry method following this http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/2255889 I start according this article and it is all good so far. Develop a good bacteria may be add from bottle. May be add purigen in ur filter. It was too long waiting for that HC to fill in, to give up righ now. "Those who learn from it`s mistakes is smart, but those who learn from other`s mistakes is even smater!" Wish you luck from all my heart, and never surrender.

Kind Regards
Nikolas
koumchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:56 AM   #96
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you for the encouragement, I really appreciate it. It's been a rough past 2 years trying to find the right balance in my tank. I was told low tech was easy, but I've had SO much trouble with it! I can grow algae very well though...
Old 01-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #97
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Okay... I spent some time tidying things up in the tank and it's not AS bad as it looked. The cyano was mostly spread on top of the dying HC - it was very easy to vac off and I think if I stay on top of cleaning it up, it will stay gone. After vaccing and cleaning up the HC I noticed that some of it is actually still alive, so for now I'm going to leave it and see if it bounces back. I think the H2O2 may have been what killed it like that, not the lack of CO2. We'll see how it does.

I also put some of the driftwood in there - it's still a bit floaty so for now I tied it to rocks and will properly arrange it when it's fully waterlogged. I tied some peacock moss to it and hopefully that fills out nicely.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #98
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cue Jaws music.

Look who's back, my good pal cyano!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 PM   #99
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Tank as of today. It's looked better, but it's also looked worse... I don't know, maybe things are starting to balance out now.

I added 2 bulbs of aponogeton undulatus, I really like the crinkly tall leaves, we'll see how those do!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #100
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

What happen to your ADA AquaSoil? It turn into mud?
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #101
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

If the cyano is gone, you may want to temporary get some fast growers in there. I usually use wisteria because it's super easy to get, even Petco/Petsmart has it in those tubes. You don't even have to plant it, let it float. That may help balance everything.

Glad to see the HC is holding on.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #102
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

It looks like you are making progress, soon it will be a lush forest, just keep trying and eventually you will have everything fixed and stable. Usually high light is the cause of many a problem.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 AM   #103
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My Aquasoil is fine, just all the vaccing the cyano off the top mixed up my powder and normal types so it looks bad... I hope to have very little or no substrate showing eventually, so it doesn't matter a whole lot to me.

Cyano's still there, I just did a water change last night and vacced most of it off. There's still some growing on the driftwood (which is STILL not 100% waterlogged yet I might add).

I looked at 2 LFS for some plants the other day but they had very little for fast growing/stems, lots of cabomba but I hate the stuff!

Dosing more P seems to be helping, I am dosing ~1ppm weekly. My fish are very happy, other than the one harlequin rasbora that died... but the cardinals look great. I was worried they were going to be stressed out from the move but they settled in really well.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #104
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
If the cyano is gone, you may want to temporary get some fast growers in there. I usually use wisteria because it's super easy to get, even Petco/Petsmart has it in those tubes. You don't even have to plant it, let it float. That may help balance everything.

Glad to see the HC is holding on.
+1 to that wisteria. That thing can solo algae.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:06 AM   #105
Jaguar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah I had wisteria in my old tank and it grew like CRAAAZY, along with vals... I will get some if I find it!