Best place to purchase a new Canon Rebel? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 01-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #16
sejoy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

^ I had the flip out screen on my last camera, and I did enjoy it and use it often. It's not completely necessary, but for shots like the ones mentioned above, it does come in handy.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:01 AM   #17
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8foot6inchRod View Post
The screen on the T3i is very sturdy. I mean, when you've got it sticking out, you gotta watch it, but it's just like being careful not to smack your lens into anything.

It's not a necessity, but it can come in quite handy. I was just out today taking some shots and wanted to get a shot down very close to the ground, but didn't want to lay down in the snow and mud. So I just flipped out the screen, tilted it to face up and held my camera very close to the ground. I could see the shot easily without needing to have my face at the viewfinder.

I've also used it while trying to shoot long exposure star and meteor shots. Having the camera pointed straight up on a tripod makes it difficult to look through the viewfinder. Flip the screen out, twist it however you need to view and you are good to go.

It actually can even provide a measure of protection for your LCD screen, because you can flip it completely around and close it again so your LCD screen faces into the camera body and is protected from scratches.

If you wanted, you could probably find lots of uses for it. Hold your camera above your head with the screen flipped down so you can get overhead shots of a crowd, or use the screen to take candid shots around a corner...just push your camera around the corner and you don't have to lean out!

Even if you end up not using it, it's not going to hurt you to have it. When you close it, it sits into an indent in the camera, so it is flush with the outer edge of the camera body. So it doesn't stick out to the point where it can get caught on something and knocked off. If you don't use it, you'll forget that it even flips out. In my opinion, then you at least have it for the times that it might come in handy, as long as you remember it.
Thanks guys, I'm actually starting to second guess my second thoughts....haha. The flip screen may be useful afterall. And my other quesiton is.......Rod, specifically on the T3i when the flip screen is closed what is on the other side of that screen? Is there a display on the closed side of the screen so that you can still see what you are shooting?
Option is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #18
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
Thanks guys, I'm actually starting to second guess my second thoughts....haha. The flip screen may be useful afterall. And my other quesiton is.......Rod, specifically on the T3i when the flip screen is closed what is on the other side of that screen? Is there a display on the closed side of the screen so that you can still see what you are shooting?
The main benefit of the flip screen (I have a 60D with it) is that you can shoot video,for example while sitting down and still see what's being recording if the camera is higher than you are. The screen also allow you to see better if your shooting in live mode by angling it away from the sun. BTW when the flip screen is reversed (LCD in toward camera) you are actually protecting the LCD from damage, etc when you travel or have it in camera bag, etc.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #19
8foot6inchRod
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yeah, it's just hard plastic on the back of the screen, like the rest of the camera body. You can still shoot photos, you just have to use the camera's small viewfinder for framing your shot and checking your focus, ISO, shutter speed, and aperture.

But you can't shoot video with it closed. The reason for that is because when you start shooting video, the camera has to lock the interior mirror in the open position for continuous recording, so you have to use the LCD screen to see what your camera is recording.
8foot6inchRod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #20
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

check out cameralandny.com They have great prices.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.