What should I be dosing?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-20-2013, 04:34 AM   #1
Dtitus1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default What should I be dosing?

So my tank is a ten gallon, been up since august, with an aquaclear 30, 26 watts of cfl lighting, and black sand as substrate.

I have 5 neon tetras, a platy, 2 cory cats, my prize winning guppy, 3 amano shrimp, and 2 nerite snails for livestock, and it's planted with crested and narrow leaf java fern, java moss, micro swords, and more recently aponogeton and water onion.

I recently changed the lighting from soft white (the ugly yellowish) to I think it's like 5,000 k daylight specturm bulbs, and I gotta say it's only been 2 days and I've seen HUGE growth with my aponogeton bulb (to the point where I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep it, although I had planned for it to take up like a quarter of the tank) and unfortunately, algae as well, on my walls and some of my fake plants (I am bad with keeping the lights on too long but I'm cutting it back to like 9 hours a day from 11, bad I know but the only lights in my room is from my animal stuff)

My question is, should I start dosing flourish, excel, both? I'm thinking like flourish once a month for trace elements, and then excel like twice a week, or should I just be dosing excel since it seems like I have enough nutrients in there?

Sorry for the novel, joined the forum just to ask this question, thought I had freshwater on lockdown since I have a reef tank too but you never stop learning stuff in this hobby.

Edit: Forgot to mention, want to keep this low tech, don't want to be trimming leaves every day.

Last edited by Dtitus1; 01-20-2013 at 05:39 AM.. Reason: Forgot to mention.
Dtitus1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.