Crypt deficiency?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #1
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 685
Default

Crypt deficiency?


Not sure what crypt species this is, but it was vibrant and healthy before I moved it into my 110G - now the leaves are starting to fall apart?



Is it just stress from being moved? Should I do anything?
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
danakin
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
danakin's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 504
Default

What fish do you have in there? Looks like it's been chomped on.
__________________
danakin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 685
Default

2 Angelfish, a Gourami, Mollys, Guppies, Black Skirt Tetras, Neon Tetras, Otocinclus and a Red Tail Shark
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
clau74
Algae Grower
 
clau74's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Mangalia , Romania
Posts: 141
Default

Hi,
If you grow other leaves, it is normal to die of old.
__________________
If you want to be achieve something in life, work hard... nothing comes for free!
clau74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru
 
Seattle_Aquarist's Avatar
 
PTrader: (30/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,372
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by l8nite View Post
Not sure what crypt species this is, but it was vibrant and healthy before I moved it into my 110G - now the leaves are starting to fall apart?

Is it just stress from being moved? Should I do anything?
Hi l8nite,

That appears to be 'Cryptocoryne melt'. It typically happens to me (but not always) whenever I drastically change the water parameters in which my crypts are growing. If I change tanks, or breakdown and then replant in a cleaned tank, or sometimes with just a major (well over 50%) water change it can happen. Sometimes I lose just a few of the older leaves, sometimes I lose them all. I think it is the cyptocoryne's way of adapting in nature to changing water conditions and water height during the 'dry' and 'wet' seasons in the tropics.

The good news is cyptocorynes have rhizomes. As long as the rhizome and roots are healthy the plant will start putting out new leaves typically within a couple of weeks.

__________________
Roy
45 Gallon Tall; 96 Watt AH Supply CF; 6700K; & 30 Gallon Long; 2X36 Watt AH Supply CF; Press. CO2; UGF; Heat Treated Montmorillonite Clay
Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS)

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
jester56
Planted Member
 
jester56's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Covington, LA
Posts: 150
Default

When mine do a meltdown, I usually make sure that I clip the leaves that start to melt. Don't know if it makes a difference, but doing this seems to stop it well short of the whole plant going down...
__________________
Nikon Pimp #084
"The legal quarter of tight lipped men, push for order, then repeat again." KTP
jester56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 685
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester56 View Post
When mine do a meltdown, I usually make sure that I clip the leaves that start to melt. Don't know if it makes a difference, but doing this seems to stop it well short of the whole plant going down...
Thanks for the advice. I ended up doing this and it seems to have improved the plant health quite a bit. The other leaves have perked up and there is some new growth starting
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Lia's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Miami
Posts: 496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi l8nite,

That appears to be 'Cryptocoryne melt'. It typically happens to me (but not always) whenever I drastically change the water parameters in which my crypts are growing. If I change tanks, or breakdown and then replant in a cleaned tank, or sometimes with just a major (well over 50%) water change it can happen. Sometimes I lose just a few of the older leaves, sometimes I lose them all. I think it is the cyptocoryne's way of adapting in nature to changing water conditions and water height during the 'dry' and 'wet' seasons in the tropics.

The good news is cyptocorynes have rhizomes. As long as the rhizome and roots are healthy the plant will start putting out new leaves typically within a couple of weeks.

Gorgeous tank , plants and those cardinals are fantastic.
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 685
Default

Thanks! Pretty tank
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012