flightless houseflies
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 01-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

flightless houseflies

would anybody be interested in them? i managed to produce a culture a long time ago, but didn't realize that it could have been useful. i ended up tossing them out. i was 13 and thought that it would have been a common thing.

for the past few years i have been looking for more online, but the best i can find are sterilized flies that cost way too much to justify buying them as a food item. i cultured mine on dog food, and though the smell wasn't pleasant, i wasn't able to smell the culture unless i was actively putting my hands in it. i eventually figured out how to reduce the smell considerably, but i lost interest and let the culture die out. im wondering now if i shouldn't try again to produce a similar strain.

what do you all think? would it be worth it? i have often wondered why there aren't any flightless houseflies around. flightless fruit flies are everywhere...
auban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

If I still kept lizard I would be all over flightless houseflys, fruitflies are to small to bother with for most species and having them escape is what eliminates them from the menu.

I have never seen flightless houseflies for sale
dprais1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
TheDrake
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

They are available, check Google. I cultured them back in the mid 90s. They never quite bred true, with maybe 10% of the offspring being flighted! My herps loved them though. In terms of smell, Purina used to make 'fly larva medium 5060' - believe it or not! The smell was not great, but really not bad, better than other media I've seen. Reminded me of silage, if you know that smell. Years later I worked for an IPM operation that bred (flighted) houseflies to infect with parasitic wasps; they had a decent DIY medium recipe, but I had to sign a non-disclosure statement there so I can't really talk about it, lol. I'm sure Google can come up with some ideas.
TheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i wouldn't have a problem culturing them, but i am still not even able to find them online...

besides, i don't really want a fly that doesn't breed true. the one i used to have bred true, so that is what i would want to produce again. i just had to set up a special tub for them because the flies couldn't climb when it was time for them to lay their eggs...

where are you finding them? google only reveals to me the sterilized ones.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #5
TheDrake
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

Sorry, I didn't realize that the ones at AZDR were sterilize, I just thought they meant they would not breed in the container they send, as FF will do (NB: this site http://geckoforums.net/f75-food-feed...ents/43430.htm suggests they aren't really sterile, just less fecund). That changes things a bit then. If you think you can re-derive them, I bet there would be a demand, especially if you sold stock that customers could culture for themselves. I'm having fond memories of harvesting them with a dustbuster, which I would then stick in the fridge for a few minutes to slow them down. Ah, my wife is an angel.
TheDrake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I saw them for sale at Petco in the reptile section. I don't know if they would be sterilized or not.
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
auban
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHaven View Post
I saw them for sale at Petco in the reptile section. I don't know if they would be sterilized or not.
what was the species? i am quite certain that you saw fruitflies, not houseflies...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.