Is this a good regulator? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-18-2013, 06:44 AM   #16
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/98%)

Small double stage regulators:

Victor:
VTS 200.
HPT100

Parker hannifin:
Veriflo(re-branded western medica) M2

Harris/Matheson:
3850 Brass
3870 stainless

and some more other models, just can't shake any more out of my head right now.

Matheson 3870
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 AM   #17
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

BIG double stage, heavy duty large flow rate:

Airproducts old aluminium chassis E12, fat boy.

Victor VTS 450/470

Matheson 3104
Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
mR. JLee
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Eevbay 110998388539 any good? Can't find info on it.
mR. JLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 PM   #19
NYREPS
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NYREPS

One word ......aquatek. Under $100 and they work great I have 3 of them
NYREPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mR. JLee View Post
I haven't looked/found a PDF for it, but just from immediately looking at it, the maximum delivery pressure on that regulator might not be enough, especially if you are using an atomic diffuser.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
edicied
Algae Grower

Quote:
As is it's not Co2 ready.

Components needed to make it above complete for our purpose. If you can find them cheaper or in SS then go for it, your call. This is just to steer you in the right direction if you want a high qual reg.

180645704547 = CGA 320 Carbon Dioxide Nipple Washer Brass, used along with the nut below.

180645703617 = CGA320 Regulator Inlet Nuts. Goes over stem above and what allows the regulator to be attached to the Co2 tank.

281037761858= Brass Plug 1/4" NPT Male, Hex Head Solid Brass. Used to replace the lower left open fitting and seal the reg.

190784082399 = Swagelok Pipe Hex Nipple,1/4 in. Used to replace the left knob assembly -> screws into Solenoid below.

121042802709= Solenoid Brass Valve 1/4 NPT Air Water Gas 115V-120V w/ Hose Barb. The barb fitting connects to the other end of the solenoid from there use a tube to connect it to the needle valve below.

Fabco-NV 55 @ fabco-air dot com= $23 from manufacturer website. Not the best needle valve, but it doesn't suck either. It will get the job done

190630444272= 10-32 1/8" tubing brass barb. Connects to the Fabco needle valve so that you can attach tube that feeds your diffuser or whatever.
edicied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
That's a nice-looking Concoa (rebranded for Linde, who doesn't make their own regs). I don't know what a Concoa 313 is, but a 312 - which is what that reg looks to be - is chrome-plated brass. However, the delivery pressure, while perfect for a reactor or low-grade diffuser, isn't compatible with an Atomic diffuser.

A low pressure gauge of 100 psi will definitely work with an Atomic. A low pressure gauge of 60 will *probably* work with an Atomic, though it depends on the manufacturer. The output max will be anywhere from 30 to 45 psi with a 60psi low pressure gauge. Concoa specs say that a 312 with a 0-30 low pressure gauge will max out at 15 psi. It will probably be slightly higher than that, but don't count on above 20 psi.

One of my personal regs is a Concoa 212, and I *think* I remember it maxing out at 40 psi on a 60psi low pressure gauge. Concoa specs say that a 312 with a 0-30 low pressure gauge will max out at 15 psi. It will probably be slightly higher than that, but don't count on above 20 psi.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #23
mR. JLee
Algae Grower

If I change the gauge, will it be more powerful?
mR. JLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 PM   #24
ianiwane
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (48/100%)

No that will not work.
ianiwane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:37 AM   #25
edicied
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
That's a nice-looking Concoa (rebranded for Linde, who doesn't make their own regs). I don't know what a Concoa 313 is, but a 312 - which is what that reg looks to be - is chrome-plated brass. However, the delivery pressure, while perfect for a reactor or low-grade diffuser, isn't compatible with an Atomic diffuser.

A low pressure gauge of 100 psi will definitely work with an Atomic. A low pressure gauge of 60 will *probably* work with an Atomic, though it depends on the manufacturer. The output max will be anywhere from 30 to 45 psi with a 60psi low pressure gauge. Concoa specs say that a 312 with a 0-30 low pressure gauge will max out at 15 psi. It will probably be slightly higher than that, but don't count on above 20 psi.

One of my personal regs is a Concoa 212, and I *think* I remember it maxing out at 40 psi on a 60psi low pressure gauge. Concoa specs say that a 312 with a 0-30 low pressure gauge will max out at 15 psi. It will probably be slightly higher than that, but don't count on above 20 psi.
The regulator low pressure side can be adjusted to whatever pressure you want it to be. Easy fix actually, remove the black or SS nut in the rear and turn the adjusting screw to what ever low side pressure you like.

So while there's a 30psi gauge and a likely matching delivery pressure it can be adjusted to match the whatever gauge is added in place. So lets say he wants to change it to say a higher 60psi or even 200psi gauge if he wants - you too - an adjustment to the desired final pressure, e.g., 50psi can be made by turning on that screw in the rear. I know this because I've done the same modification on several of these types.

So to the OP question, yes you can change the gauge, but you will have to make a quick adjustment to the rear screw. It sounds complicated but it's rather simple.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #26
edicied
Algae Grower

Found some old pics of a full tear down of the current reg I'm using. The first pic is the order the components are assembled in the reg and in the second you can see the adjustment screw I'm referring to. After an adjustment is made the setting is secured by the threaded ring nut (2nd item that looks like a washer)

Old 01-19-2013, 04:30 AM   #27
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by edicied View Post
The regulator low pressure side can be adjusted to whatever pressure you want it to be. Easy fix actually, remove the black or SS nut in the rear and turn the adjusting screw to what ever low side pressure you like.

So while there's a 30psi gauge and a likely matching delivery pressure it can be adjusted to match the whatever gauge is added in place. So lets say he wants to change it to say a higher 60psi or even 200psi gauge if he wants - you too - an adjustment to the desired final pressure, e.g., 50psi can be made by turning on that screw in the rear. I know this because I've done the same modification on several of these types.

So to the OP question, yes you can change the gauge, but you will have to make a quick adjustment to the rear screw. It sounds complicated but it's rather simple.

adjust the back screw you alter the internal(middle chamber pressure), and the output pressure will be affected a little bit, but a regulator output pressure range is decided by the spring that right below the poppet valve!
play too much the back screw you will have good possibility damage the reg, it is manufacture setting so inside the internal chamber can be a certain steady pressure.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #28
edicied
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post

adjust the back screw you alter the internal(middle chamber pressure), and the output pressure will be affected a little bit, but a regulator output pressure range is decided by the spring that right below the poppet valve!
play too much the back screw you will have good possibility damage the reg, it is manufacture setting so inside the internal chamber can be a certain steady pressure.
The spring in it is not an ordinary spring it is very stiff and not a material that can be crushed, and the minute turns needed to get to 60psi is fine. I'm very sure that's more than sufficient for any super diffuser out there, even one that's getting clogged. But good that you brought it regardless, wouldn't want anyone yanking on it too much

Mine has been running superbly for 3rs now and stable.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #29
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by edicied View Post
The spring in it is not an ordinary spring it is very stiff and not a material that can be crushed, and the minute turns needed to get to 60psi is fine. I'm very sure that's more than sufficient for any super diffuser out there, even one that's getting clogged. But good that you brought it regardless, wouldn't want anyone yanking on it too much

Mine has been running superbly for 3rs now and stable.
I adjust the back screws on some of the double stage regulators before, the max output still be about the same.
will try it again.

I think when you took apart the reg and put it back, there were so many minor discrepancy that not follow the manufacture initial setting, so a higher max output was possible...
Old 01-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #30
edicied
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettatail View Post
I adjust the back screws on some of the double stage regulators before, the max output still be about the same.
will try it again.

I think when you took apart the reg and put it back, there were so many minor discrepancy that not follow the manufacture initial setting, so a higher max output was possible...
Definitely no discrepancy, its a very simple assembly and it was put back together correctly.

Now that you have me thinking about this when I adjusted my regs I shut off my Ideal valve, screwed in the Black adjustment knob all the way clockwise, loosen the lock nut on the adjust screw and made my turns to get to the desired pressure as shown on the gauge. It shouldn't matter, but this is what I did.

Last edited by edicied; 01-19-2013 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: added notes