Finnex Hang-On Breeder - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 AM   #16
Vandiggity
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I used some parts off of an old sponge filter that I had as well as the rubber adapter that finnex supplies with the micro powerhead. I did relocate the dark green piece with the air (co2) inlet on it inside the tank just above the inlet strainer/sponge as it works better there. You can barely see it at the bottom of the overhead picture and the "today" picture. Please excuse the monster heater, the replacement for the refugium/breeder should be here any day now.

I am planning on getting another of these to do similar as Zeez did with some plants and shrimp.
Vandiggity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #17
ZeeZ
Planted Member

PTrader: (39/100%)

How did you manage to get the lid to fit on top of the refugium with the light mounted? I can't get mine to fit because the mounts are in the way.

My PFR doesn't seem happy in there. She keeps trying to escape by swimming at the point where the water is closest to the lip and I want to put the lid on to prevent her escaping. I think the light may be too bright for her and that's why she's trying to escape.
ZeeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:35 AM   #18
Vandiggity
Algae Grower

I didn't mount the light. I know it looks like it is, but if you look closely, you can see that the light is actually just sitting on top of the lid. Doesn't make much difference. I have to use the lid because those sponge filters really splash around. The lid does a great job of keeping the water "in." I am also using a small box underneath the refugium for support so the whole weight isn't hanging on the edge of my tank. These 6.6 bookshelf units are made of plastic and that's a lot of extra weight hanging back there. I found that the box that the mini powerhead came in supports it nicely and elevates the back side of the refugium a little so that the water level isn't so close to the edge.

One other nice thing about these is you get that extra gallon of water in your system with these small tanks. Every little bit helps keep things stable. Now if they only made one with the inlet on the other side, I could run dual refugiums, bwahahaha!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:03 AM   #19
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

can I get a p/m on where to get this HOB?
Old 01-19-2013, 04:58 PM   #20
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

I got mine through Amazon. Search "Finnex refugium".

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
ZeeZ
Planted Member

I asked the seller for the adapter for the powerhead but they said it comes with their powerhead. I didn't know they also offered a powerhead. But I think I'm going to just get the one le0p posted since he said it didn't require an adapter. I'm also going to try balancing the light on top of the lid and give the PFR a small black mesh cave to hide in because I think the light really is too bright for it.

I know I'd try to escape if I had something that bright above me with no real shade.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #22
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

@ZeeZ: I believe the powerhead I purchased is the same one offered by Finnex, just rebranded. I could be wrong on this but I swear I've seen it mentioned in other threads and they look exactly the same.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #23
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

I ordered one of the power heads off amazon this morning. It does come with the adapter.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #24
ZeeZ
Planted Member

You guys are right. The pictures looks exactly the same. The price's only one dollar difference. On Amazon, it's $13.99 with free super saver shipping but it doesn't look like it comes with the adapter but from the same seller on eBay and Amazon I got the HOB from, it does come with the adapter for $10 with $5 shipping. I'll get the one with the adapter and make it easy on myself.

Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 01-20-2013, 12:46 AM   #25
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

Hey Vandiggity, is the power head inside the refugium? That small and able to draw water up the tube from the tank?

Old 01-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #26
Vandiggity
Algae Grower

Yes, it is inside the refugium. Its not the most powerful powerhead, but eventually it sucks the water up. I will have to get some new pictures.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:24 AM   #27
jimmytruong87
I v(^o^)v shrimp

PTrader: (32/100%)

this breeder box is very expensive. It cost $60. Their air pump is not really good
Marina hang on breeding box (large) cost $12 without light and air pump
jimmytruong87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #28
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmytruong87 View Post
this breeder box is very expensive. It cost $60. Their air pump is not really good
Marina hang on breeding box (large) cost $12 without light and air pump

Well this is 29.99 (or so) with air pump. If you add an air pump and light to the marina, which is smaller in volume, it's pretty competitive.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #29
ZeeZ
Planted Member

I finally got the powerhead with the adapter from the same seller. It's the exact same thing as the one I was looking at from a different source but I chose the same seller because they had the adapter for the little powerhead to fit the tube. The strainer that came with it was too big to prevent baby shrimp from getting sucked up, so I put in some sponge and made a mesh barrier to prevent the sponge from getting sucked into the impeller.

The seller also sent a replacement air pump.

Pics -

I also put on the lid and balanced the light on top of it without mounting. This way, the intake tube is more secure and won't pop out with the powerhead on it plus shrimp can't escape.

Algae is already growing... hmm... Time to call in a Nerite...

I'm thinking about putting in a divider because the plants are just getting blown around and all mixed up. This way, the filter floss that I'd put in one section could also act as a sort of filter and more colonizing space for bacteria. But I don't like the fact that it would take away space from the Painted Fire Reds I'm planning on breeding in this...
Old 01-26-2013, 02:47 AM   #30
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

Default Re: Finnex Hang-On Breeder

Great pics and tips, ZeeZ, I hope to find the time to set mine up this weekend!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.