Plant Recommendations
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Plant Recommendations

In the coming months I'm going to be starting a 75-100 gallon tank and want to spend time planting it before any fish are introduced to come up with something very nice. I'm in no rush to have things grow at ludicrous speed and will be keeping the tank low tech. I've been roaming through lighting for long enough to have my head spin, and at the end of the day I plan on buying a decent fixture, but not some insane super fixture as I once again don't plan on adding CO2.

I plan to build a custom rock formation along the back wall in the center of the tank, and since I'm new to plants need lots of help from there.

Basically I'll be looking for some very tall plants for along the sides of the rocks in the back, some moderate height plants in the middle, and some short/grassy stuff in the front. In addition I figure I'll put some mossy/lichen/whatever stuff on the rocks themselves if possible.

So keeping in mind no added CO2, fertilizer at first (until fish are helping at least), and a modest (but not cheap standard comes with kit) lighting, what are some of your favorite plants that you think would work? With so many choices out there I'm looking for some suggestions to start researching.
Rush3737 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
veryzer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'd recommend vallisneria (vals) for easy background plants. If you need really tall ones go for jungle vals.
veryzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:57 AM   #3
l8nite
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Amazon sword (Echinodorus amazonicus) is a good background choice.

This is in my 110G, ~20" from the substrate to the surface - the filter outflow pushes the amazon sword towards the front of the tank, but they graze the surface (you can see one of the leaves on the left doing it).

The tall reddish-brown plant on the right is a Dwarf Lily (Nymphaea Stellata)

Note these are both in my high-light, CO2, EI dosing tank -- but I think you'll see the same kind of results even without it.

The foreground plant is Sagittaria subulata - grows fine even in the mostly-shade areas of my tank.
l8nite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.