Pressurized Co2 help needed
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-18-2013, 09:25 PM   #1
plantastic37
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Pressurized Co2 help needed

So I purchased a paintball canister Co2 setup.

Aquatek CO2 Regulator with Integrated Solenoid Valve R-78
JBJ brass bubble counter
Clear Co2 tubing
12 oz paintball canister from dicks sporting goods
Ceramic co2 diffuser
Red Sea Co2 checker

So I have the line running down from the tank to the floor underneath my desk (about 3 feet from aquarium)

I can only seem to adjust this setup to 1 bubble ever 2 seconds and that is it.

It seems this might be to much for my tank because it trips the co2 checker to yellow which is supposed to be bad.

It does bring the ph from 7.4 to 6.4 at this rate.

Now a few caveats I do not have the 4DKH solution for the Red Sea Co2 checker just some tap water. So maybe not accurate reading.

None of the livestock shows signs of stress and the plants are pearling like mad.

I am worried I might be adding to much co2 and I am a little annoyed that I may have to turn off the co2 after only being on for a couple hours.

Please advise! Thanks!
plantastic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
neilshieh
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)

there's a reason why we use 4dkh solution. If we could use tap water then no one would even bother selling it. Your reading is horribly off because you're using tap water. drop checkers operate on a relationship between water hardness, ph, and ppm of co2 though there are many other factors that may render this relationship useless. Make some 4 dkh solution with a gallon of distilled water or RO water and a tiny bit of baking soda.
but if your livestock and plants are growing great then no need to adjust. watching your inhabitants is probably the best indicator you'll ever have.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
plantastic37
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilshieh View Post
there's a reason why we use 4dkh solution. If we could use tap water then no one would even bother selling it. Your reading is horribly off because you're using tap water. drop checkers operate on a relationship between water hardness, ph, and ppm of co2 though there are many other factors that may render this relationship useless. Make some 4 dkh solution with a gallon of distilled water or RO water and a tiny bit of baking soda.
but if your livestock and plants are growing great then no need to adjust. watching your inhabitants is probably the best indicator you'll ever have.
Will do thanks so much for the help! Very appreciated!
plantastic37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
caique
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

You could also check your KH if it is 4 then you can have a ph of 6.4 no problem. Google Kh ph chart.
caique is offline   Reply With Quote