Help with my pelvicachromis taeniatus kienke
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
caique
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Help with my pelvicachromis taeniatus kienke

If anyone is has a lot of experience with these little fish please chime in, they seem very shy and hiding all the time and when I first got them they were always out. Don't want to loose them they are a wild pair would love to breed them. Water perimeters Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 5 Ph 6.5 TDS 165.

John
caique is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

You could try adding a few dither fish (that normally occupy the upper levels of your tank). Many times, this will help - especially with small/shy dwarf cichlids.
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
caique
Planted Member

I have 14 dither fish already. Harlequin Rasboras and Brilliant Red Tailed Rasboras.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
wastewater
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)

^That eliminates one possible solution.

You mentioned your water parameters. Has water quality remained steady, any changes or fluctuations? What kind of temperatures are you maintaining? Any health issues (off feed, fast breathing, darting, etc.)? How long have you had your pair and how long have they been established in your set-up? What size is your set-up? Do you just keep the one pair of 'kienke' with your dither fish?

In the past, some of mine would act reclusive. They always seemed to sense my presence. If I watched from a distance (and for awhile), they would come out and 'do their' thing throughout the tank. I have also noticed pairs becoming reclusive during the breeding process.

I really don't have any other suggestions to offer, outside of 'shaking up' (rearranging) the scape a bit, or temporarily adding an extra female (or two) to see what happens. Don't know if this would help, but they are the best suggestions I have right now.
wastewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
caique
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastewater View Post
^That eliminates one possible solution.

You mentioned your water parameters. Has water quality remained steady, any changes or fluctuations? What kind of temperatures are you maintaining? Any health issues (off feed, fast breathing, darting, etc.)? How long have you had your pair and how long have they been established in your set-up? What size is your set-up? Do you just keep the one pair of 'kienke' with your dither fish?

In the past, some of mine would act reclusive. They always seemed to sense my presence. If I watched from a distance (and for awhile), they would come out and 'do their' thing throughout the tank. I have also noticed pairs becoming reclusive during the breeding process.

I really don't have any other suggestions to offer, outside of 'shaking up' (rearranging) the scape a bit, or temporarily adding an extra female (or two) to see what happens. Don't know if this would help, but they are the best suggestions I have right now.
Water stays the same, I do 20 gallon water changes once a week (75 Gallon) half RO half tap. Temp is 77.5.

The female seems like her top fin is clamped most of the time but no apparent illness. I have started to feed them blood worms and spirulina brine shrimp (frozen)

I have had them for about 2 months.

I thought that maybe it had to do with the breeding process. (hoping)

I just took a pair of Apisto Panduro out of the tank they were being a bit pissy with the Kribs.

Yes, all I have is one pair.

The filter on this tank is a Fluval FX5 should I clean it every month or let it go a few months. I use the big filter because I have a Co2 reactor and an inline hydor heater that slows down the flow quiet a bit.

I may just mix it up a bit, if you think that would help.

Thank you for your input,

John