Buying a used co2 system. Need your help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
AlanLe
Gurus Master

PTrader: (4/100%)

Buying a used co2 system. Need your help

Hi All,
Im buying a used co2 system on craiglist for $150. Could you guys please let me know what should look for when checking out the system?
AlanLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

What kind of regulator are you getting with that? Does it include the bottle? If so, how big is the bottle? Does it include a diffuser, if so, what kind? $150 sounds like a Milwaukee ( bad ) type regulator with a 5# bottle and a eBay diffuser.

If it's not a Milwaukee and the CO2 tank has pressure, put some water in the drop checker ( hopefully it has one ) and check the solenoid operation. Run some gas through it at a couple bubbles/second then cut the power and check to see if the bubbles have completely stopped after a few minutes. If after 5 minutes you still see an occasional bubble, the solenoid is bad. Also, watch for consistent CO2 delivery. If you get one bubble, then no bubbles for a couple of seconds, then a bunch of bubbles -- it's bad.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

such hate for Milwaukee.... why?

Not all the retail Co2 regulator are garbage, my Aquatic Life is going strong for over a year. *knock on wood.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
AlanLe
Gurus Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
What kind of regulator are you getting with that? Does it include the bottle? If so, how big is the bottle? Does it include a diffuser, if so, what kind? $150 sounds like a Milwaukee ( bad ) type regulator with a 5# bottle and a eBay diffuser.

If it's not a Milwaukee and the CO2 tank has pressure, put some water in the drop checker ( hopefully it has one ) and check the solenoid operation. Run some gas through it at a couple bubbles/second then cut the power and check to see if the bubbles have completely stopped after a few minutes. If after 5 minutes you still see an occasional bubble, the solenoid is bad. Also, watch for consistent CO2 delivery. If you get one bubble, then no bubbles for a couple of seconds, then a bunch of bubbles -- it's bad.
This is the one. Not sure what brand this is even the seller said he wasnt sure.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/3553448570.html
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:

Ya know,

I bought a Cornelius regulator, a no-name Taiwanese regulator, bubble counter, Fabco NV55 needle valve, solenoid that I can't remember the brand name of to save my life right at this second, Cerges reactor, Griggs reactor, 10 lb steel CO2 bottle with about 8 lbs left in it, about 30 assorted pieces of brass tubing and fittings, CO2 tubing and probably some other stuff I can't remember - off some guy on craigslist..

For $50.

It happens.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:47 PM   #6
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Take some soapy water with you and check the pressurized regulator for leaks.

Check that all the knobs move nicely. I have somehow accumulated *4* regulators and am amazed at how nicely made they all are, poor action could indicate an issue.

Check that the working pressure gauge moves when the 'black knob' on the front of most regulators is tightened and loosened. My used Milwaukee is quite cranky on that point and refuses to allow gas through if I try for too high a working pressure.

Look for corrosion. My used Harris that has yet to be put to work came with a post body kit that was in miserable shape and has been tossed out. Had to have been on a salt water tank.

$150 would be a nice price for a double stage regulator and tank but not much of a deal for a Milwaukee or other lower end regulator. A CO2 tank costs how much? Might want to call your nearest Airgas or other provider. See Amazon and that other place to figure how much a new lower end regulator costs.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
If it's not a Milwaukee and the CO2 tank has pressure, put some water in the drop checker ( hopefully it has one ) and check the solenoid operation.
I assume you meant bubble counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanLe View Post
This is the one. Not sure what brand this is even the seller said he wasnt sure.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/3553448570.html
It is a Milwaukee MA957.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:31 PM   #8
AlanLe
Gurus Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I assume you meant bubble counter.

It is a Milwaukee MA957.
Should I pass on this one?
Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

It's not a great deal considering that's not a very expensive regulator to begin with.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Aside from the fact that it's a Milwaukee, and therefore of poor quality (yes, there are plenty of satisfied customers. There are also plenty of current and previous owners who will never in a million years use another one), everything in that ad could be purchased, new, for the same amount they're asking for.

Pass on it.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #11
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

Hey, that regulator has two outputs? Do they come like that? I thought Milwaukee only had one? What does the other needle valve do when you only use 1 output?

Oh by the way, he is including some measuring spoons! That a great deal,
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #12
AlanLe
Gurus Master

Thanks for the feedback guys. Another question, should i get a low pressure regulator or a high pressure regulator? It's just too many stuff to learn about co2 system.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Hey, that regulator has two outputs? Do they come like that? I thought Milwaukee only had one? What does the other needle valve do when you only use 1 output?
The MA957 normally only comes with one, but I am sure you can purchase a manifold for multiple use.

The needle valve used appears to be a cheap one, most likely not designed for complete shut off.

This means that, to some degree, gas will be wasted from that valve.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Another question, should i get a low pressure regulator or a high pressure regulator? It's just too many stuff to learn about co2 system.
You need a high pressure regulator, as pressurized CO2 is upwards of 800 PSI.

The regulator then reduces the pressure to a manageable working pressure of ~30 PSI. A needle/metering valve then reduces this further.

For more information regarding terminology, take a look at my pressurized CO2 guide (linked in my signature).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Hi All,
Im buying a used co2 system on craiglist for $150. Could you guys please let me know what should look for when checking out the system?
Check the date on the tank. If it is close to or after 5 years from the date stamped, it is due for hydro testing.
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
EricSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #15
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)

Alan got a Concoa 212 regulator now.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote