Double Red Agassizi - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 01-13-2013, 04:50 AM   #16
DBlauj
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/82%)

Sucks to hear that they are dropping that way. Hopefully yours does better than those in the fs. Plants are always a plus also.
DBlauj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 05:30 AM   #17
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBlauj View Post
Sucks to hear that they are dropping that way. Hopefully yours does better than those in the fs. Plants are always a plus also.

We have only lost like 3 out of 20? Id say that's pretty good. The first losses I don't count as they where put into a tank with fish that tried to eat them. Other wise, its just been the three, two from one shipment, another from another one.

They never colored up like the others and always stayed on the bottom, so I am sure it was shipping stress related and not something else.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #18
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

77F should be fine. Get him fat and sassy with those live foods and then the small size NLS pellets should work good (or the flake works too). I'd go with tetras over barbs, just like to avoid pangea tank whenever at all possible. You could get real crazy, and try to find tetras from the rivers that Aggies inhabit in the wild. But get him some friends to feel safer, and get him a cave of some kind to hide in, even if it's just an old coffee mug-for now. He's probably too concerned with his safety to eat well.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #19
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by james1542 View Post
77F should be fine. Get him fat and sassy with those live foods and then the small size NLS pellets should work good (or the flake works too). I'd go with tetras over barbs, just like to avoid pangea tank whenever at all possible. You could get real crazy, and try to find tetras from the rivers that Aggies inhabit in the wild. But get him some friends to feel safer, and get him a cave of some kind to hide in, even if it's just an old coffee mug-for now. He's probably too concerned with his safety to eat well.

The way the drift wood sits, its propped up on a rock, creating a mini cave he sleeps in at night. Last night he was up and about exploring the tank, like "oooo whats this?" It was rather cute.
This morning hes down by the plant hiding in it.

I wouldn't mind doing tetras, if I could find something with the similar color of the cherry barbs, that where easy to get my hands on.

I don't want to deal with shipping, as between work, and school, I will more than likely not be home with the shipment arrives, and there is no one else home to deal with it.

I'd love to get some Ruby Tetras, but the only place that I know carry's them locally is Aqua Forest in Japan Town in SF, and that's a bit of a drive for me.

Cardinals, I'd love too, but they are about 5$ a fish around here, and all the shops that get them in have had rotten luck with getting them in alive from the seller.

Neons, I already have in the other tank, I dont want to do two tanks of them.

I may pick up some Orange Von Rio Flames to see how they do.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #20
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

....My fish is a pansy.. Hes scared of his own shadow!
Hes going to end up being one spoiled rotten fish.

Due to me missing a part of the tank, (the little flow valve thing that controls where you point the water to) the blood worms don't always make it down to where he hangs out, so I have to take the feeding tongs and offer it to him that way, then he pigs out..

My plan for getting cherry barbs did not go over like I wanted. I'll have to either pick some up from the other store tomorrow, or wait a week or so to get them from where I normally do.

So until then hes King of the tank.

As far as getting a counter part for him goes, they are listed as 'red flashers' and 'orange flashers' on the list, so my friends going to order me some to see if its what I want. If not, oh well, they got some new fish in.

I have one other shop I can try as well.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #21
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

Well all my fish in both tanks now hate me haha

I trimmed down my very over grown moss in my ten gallon, and now it looks empty : ( I think I trimmed to much, thankfully it's java moss, so it should pop back really quick.

As for the 29 gallon, I added more substrate, by seacam this time. Even though I rinsed the crap out if it, and added it in cup by cup full, not dumping it out till it was right against the ground, it still went POOF with crap.

I added in 4 Emerald Eye Tetras. They where 99cents a fish, so I got all they had left to try and bring out the Double Red. So far they are exploring the tank like crazy. I added some more plants to it as well, trimmings from the ten gallon. As soon as all the 'dust' settles, I will be taking the moss trimmings from the ten gallon and adding it to the drift wood.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:00 AM   #22
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

So one of my friends reminded me I could head out to Neptune's in Milpitas and pick up some nice double reds for 13$...
Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #23
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

The new lights came today.. Oh my.. .Do I LOVE IT
Old 01-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #24
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

He's a bit more out and about today. Loves the live blood worms when offered them with the tongs.

Hopefully this Thursday I can head over to Neptune's and pick up some more fish for him
Old 01-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #25
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

: ( I am really bummed out, I found him half dead this morning.

I think the supplier we are getting them from is sending us 'faulty' fish or something. He ate just fine last night, and my parameters are all in normal safe range.

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0

My Sakura baby shrimp (the culls from the 10 gallon) are doing just fine, as well as my Horned Nertie snail, my assassin snails, and my Emerald eye Rasboras. Witch leaves me to think that there is something wrong with the fish they are sending us. We lost two of the new shipment yesterday.

I think I will hit up Neptunes today to see if they have any nice ones in.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #26
Kitsune_Gem
Wannabe Guru

: ( Poor little guy didn't make it.
Kitsune_Gem is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.