my female guppy
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
aislon_burnam
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

my female guppy

hi all,
I have 3 female Cobra Guppies and all three are pregnant but one is about ready i think to give birth and shes in a birthing tank. This morning shes not eating her food and she is is basically the best way to describe it is standing on her head. Yesterday i found a long clear.white string coming off of her, she has been in the birthing tank a couple of weeks now and looks like shes about to explode is this normal for them to stand on their head and she also seems to swim lopsided at times as well. I would like to see the babies be born and would like to see her actually give birth as i have never seen it but i am not sure if the way she is acting if that is normal or if its because shes about to pop so to speak.

thanks again
aislon_burnam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #2
Virto
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

White string could be a parasite, or a poop that shows signs of parasitic infestation.

Are her scales sticking out? Does she look like a pinecone?

They can really balloon up when they're massively pregnant, but they don't normally have issues swimming.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
aislon_burnam
Algae Grower

no shes not looking like a pinecone and no her scales are not sticking out...i just checked her and shes in the upper right hand corner with string like stuff coming out but its different than what it was yesterday its the same color but its almost like its a cord from the babies
Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
aislon_burnam
Algae Grower

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	68913 this what shes looking like right now its supposed to be sideways but its all weird but im posting from my phone

Last edited by aislon_burnam; 01-19-2013 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: trying to fix the picture
Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 AM   #5
aislon_burnam
Algae Grower

Anyone have any more advice she still is huge like shes about to pop and nothing has happened yet and shes looking bigger and still standing on her mouth in the birthing tank and i just am trying to figure it out i would like to see the first set of babies but its almost like shes like shes top heavy from the eggs is this normal?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
hedge_fund
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)

It's not normal for pregnant guppies to stand on their heads. Was this "birthing" tank fully cycled? Did you bring water in from your main tank?

Try feeding her or maybe even dropping some plants in the container so she's not stressed.

Here is a YouTube video of a guppy being born.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFkBjD2Le3k
hedge_fund is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
aislon_burnam
Algae Grower

It's a birthing tank that uses the water from the main tank and i feed her and she don't eat it had a plant in there but was to big so took it out and put a small one in and will try that but shes not having the babbies and i am kind of worried about her
Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 AM   #8
aislon_burnam
Algae Grower

Never Mind the female that was huge and standing on her head died tonight and no babies ever came out hopefully the other two will be ok
Old 01-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
aislon_burnam
Algae Grower

Thanks for the help
Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 PM   #10
Alplily
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I'm sorry you lost one of your guppies. Take heart! They are usually quite hardy fish and I'm sure your others will do just fine!

12G Rimless Club
Alplily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 AM   #11
aislon_burnam
Algae Grower

You over feeding and or too much ammona in the water or something like that we're not totally sure only tested the water and it was fine but then I just cleaned my tank so I really don't know.....am hoping the 10 gal gets better will know more on friday

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.