Frog Bite
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
dski13
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Frog Bite

So something is taking a bite out of my Frog Bit. It also ate a good portion of one of my newly emerging banana plant lilly pad leaves. The only plants that seem effected are floaters. Does anyone know what might be doing this and how to get rid of it.

At one point I took out all the frog bit and sorted it keeping only fully intact plants, rinsing in tap water. The munching slowed down but it has picked up again now that there has been time for the pest to increase in number again.

I do have ramshorn and pond snails but they have not eaten any live plants so far.
Attached Images

dski13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (439/100%)

It looks like your Frogbit is yellowing a bit, so that's a sign of nutrient deficiency or otherwise poor health. That could be why your snails are eating it (because it's dying).

Your snails won't eat healthy plants, so if they're dying, that's why they're being eaten.

What are your water parameters? Are you dosing any fertilizer? What's the size of your tank? What kind and how many fish/shrimp do you have?
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

Shrimp? You have any Amanos in there? They munch at my Salvinia and Pistia like crazy. The plants aren't doing so well either.

I would guess that yours aren't doing fine as well. Snails might also give them a bite if the plants are weak.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
dski13
Algae Grower

I have a 20 Gal Tall dirted tank. I have a small bio load of 1 adult and 9 juv guppies. I have been dosing with potassium Nitrate, postasium phosphate, and SeaChem fluorish for micros. I generally add 0.3 g potassium nitrate and .1 g phosphate twice a week( I do not have the spoons). I do think I need to increase the amount of nitrate I add or the frequency because my API test shows low nitrate on the days I re-dose. This is a low tech tank with medium light.

Would snails eat a perfectly round hole like that?

I will try increasing the ferts and see what happens.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

Low nitrates might cause that. I need to keep low Nitrates in my shrimp tank and that's the only tank I had problems with them. In the larger tank I need to take them out weekly as they will block light to lower plants.

The snails or any other creature will eat the dead/soft parts of the plant. The hole pattern will match the affected part of the plant.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
dski13
Algae Grower

This is my first tank and it is still relatively new (2 months). I have been slowly adding ferts. I guess this is a sign that I need more. Since the frog bit are floaters they do not benefit from the nutrients in my soil.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
le0p
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I really thought this thread was about getting bitten by a frog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.