Green Leaf atomic diffuser questions!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-15-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Green Leaf atomic diffuser questions!

Does anybody have experience with the green leaf diffusers. They seem to be high end. I am not use to seeing so little CO2 diffuse (so much gas) I am confused.
I just installed the 50mm , I turned up the gas to get it started which was probably not a good idea. In the past It would get a new hook up going faster instead of waiting 15 minutes for the gas to pick up.
The gas came out of the diffuser at an incredible rate. I began cutting back the dose to 1 bubble every 10 seconds & there was still a massive amount of gas coming out. I then closed the gas altogether & its been over thirty minutes with the solenoid closed down & there is still what looks like 1 bubble/ 5 seconds coming out yet after 30 minutes.
This does not seem normal. Initially I am sure there was a lot of O2 mixed with CO2 in the tubing since it was a new hook up. I checked my pH & sure enough it was not low so maybe it was mostly O2.
Does O2 cause more of an out burst from the diffuser on start up? Is this diffuser supposed to work this way, meaning long shut offs & maybe slow start ups? The gas seems to run 10 times faster out of the diffuser compared to my old diffuser meaning much, much more efficient.
Hardstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Sounds like you have a leak. Running out of gas faster means it's less efficient just putting out a ton more gas and not doing anything.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

The new diffuser is putting out a massive amount of gas. The old diffuser was running fine but I had to raise the pressure more to get even a fraction of what the new diffuser is giving off.
The new diffuser just stopped pumping gas ,but it has been off for 35 -40 minutes now. It must have something to do with it being atomic. It looks like it is going to run very efficient & run different than people are use to seeing. The CO2 tubing I used was a little fatter , had more volume so it took long to fill with pressure. From what I can see they run very efficient & you could save 50 80% on your gas bill.
No, a leak does not seem possible considering how much gas it was producing. Now it has shut off completely. See what tomorrow will bring. It looks outstanding if I can produce 90% more diffusion compared to my old 1 which was not bad either.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Long startups are normal. Water soaks into the diffuser while it's off, and with water being so much more viscous than gas, it takes a while to force it out of the incredibly fine pores.

Long shutdowns are also normal, especially if you cranked up the pressure, while the gas accumulated in the tubing (and especially bubble counter if present) bleed off.

The diffuser should never truly be putting out a massive amount of gas. Only a massive amount of bubbles, so fine they look like smoke. Great diffusers, very efficient.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks DarkCobra, That's what I see as happening as well. I was just not use to seeing so many more bubbles from less gas in a diffuser. Looks like I will be saving some gas.
Good to know they are good diffusers. I have been eyeing them up for a while. They have been out of stock for a while.
My tank continues to grow well. Zero on plants.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

my results are about the same, I have a Green Leaf system and found that it took a higher pressure to get started and there was a delay. I called Green Leaf at start up time as it would not start at the tank pressure noted in the directions and was told that with their diffuser it did take more pressure and I set up according to the call. Mine does not take more than about five minutes to completely stop.
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 AM   #7
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the info. I am running about 1.4 bars now. Thats up from .8 bars from my last diffuser. This yields about 1 bubble every 2 to 3 seconds which lowers my tank to 6.5 . Not bad. I use to have to run 1 bubble second to get similar results. Wondering what the bar psi conversion formula is?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
beginragnarok
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have two of GLA's Atomic diffusers running on my pressurized setup. My regulator has to be set to almost sixty pounds (working pressure) to get flow. I really like them, very small bubble size (I'll have to get my caliper out to measure them some time.), low maintenance. Adjust slowly so you don't gas your livestock as these things really are efficient.

After the soleniod shuts off flow the CO2 that is already inside the tube will take some time to depressurize to meet atmospheric pressure - the time needed will vary upon the length of tube in use, think volume.

-Zach
Emersed Tub Club meber #15
beginragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Zach. 60 psi seems very high. Are you sure your gauge is accurate?
I was running .8 bars wth my old diffuser. It was cheap but made bubbles just as small. But the screw top started to strip out on me, so it was loosing efficiency somewhat.
Now I am running 1.5 bars. I did not run the math on that yet but feel it is around 30psi. Ok I ran the mathits 23.4 lbs which does not make sense, because it takes 30 to run it.
WOW, I just looked at my solenoid tube from regulator, it looks like its going to explode. Is it ok to run such pressure with the CO2 tubing or do I need to beef it up ? What about the solenoid? & needle valve?? This sounds like a whole different thread starting.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
bobt2
Algae Grower

this is interesting. i gave up on mine when i got no flow at 40 psi. this with a new inline model.
bobt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

1 bar = 14.7psi
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #12
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardstuff View Post
WOW, I just looked at my solenoid tube from regulator, it looks like its going to explode. Is it ok to run such pressure with the CO2 tubing or do I need to beef it up ? What about the solenoid? & needle valve??
Noticeable bulging is definitely a bad thing. Even if it doesn't burst, it's liable to pop right off the barb unless reinforced with clamps - especially if heat from the solenoid reaches it, which makes it even weaker. I would get some heavier tubing immediately.

Solenoids and needle valves typically have high enough PSI ratings that they're fine, but if you can find these numbers, it doesn't hurt to verify.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #13
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

bobt2 , 60lbs!. Something is wrong there for sure. Maybe your regulator/ needle valve gauge is off.
I keep looking at my tubing & the tubing seems to look more stressed when the solenoid is off. It is old tubing , not sure if that makes much difference? But it appears to bulge slightly more when loaded after the solenoid shuts down. Money is extremely tight right now for me. But I would not want my CO2 canister emptying out if I bust the tubing. Im assuming thats what would happen.
Anyway I notice a performance improvement with green leaf. The penalty looks like It stresses your equipment to the needle valve & tubing . The worst that can happen is I discharge the tank. 20 bucks & new tubing would be needed. So far the GL diffuser looks bomb proof. No pun intended.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
bobt2
Algae Grower

no, i said 40 and i gave up. i never tried 60.
bobt2 is offline   Reply With Quote