Need help with CPD biotope plants
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Need help with CPD biotope plants

Sometime in the future I plan to set up a celestial pearl danio biotope. Fish will be CPD's, rosy loaches, and Microrasbora rubescens. The only article I can find with specifics on the collection is kind of old, before they found them in more than one place along the Salween in Eastern Myanmar and south into Northern Thailand. E. densa and a couple others are listed, but that one is illegal in the states. On seriouslyfish it says blyxa species and i think aponogetons and the elodea types.

After a little research its seems possible B. japonica and aubertii could be found in there habitat. Potamogeton crispus is found in myanmar, so i find it hard to believe it wouldnt be found in paddy fields all over because of how prolific and invasive it is here in the states. Marsilea minuta is also listed as native to that part of Asia as far as i know. All of these species are found in paddy field type conditions as are the fish and would be a lot more pleasing to the eye than elodea I think.

Can anyone verify these as being from the Salween(Thanlwin) River basin or eloborate on any more species? Particularly any stems or Crypts that might come flood plain type habitats in that area.

Thanks

Old 01-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
stevencaller
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I understand there are Blyxa species in that region, though you'll have to do more research to find out if there are any japonica there
Old 03-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #3
rozdaboff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Any progress on your tank? I did something similar - but only did biotope with fauna - not flora. Rosy loaches, CPDs - but instead of M. rubescens - I did Microdevario nanus. I have thought about another tank in the future using several Lake Inle species - including D. erytyhromicron, Yunnanilus brevis (although I think this genus was renamed Petruichthys) and the M. rubescens.

Another Myanmar option if you want a cryptic bottom dweller is Hara miniscula. I tried to get some, but what was called H. miniscula wasn't actually that - something a bit bigger.
rozdaboff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
bababooey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (21/100%)

I'm not sure if blyxa japonica is found in their natural environment to fit your CPD biotope, but my CPDs love blyxa. Mine love to weave in and out of the leaves similar to clownfish with anemone. I also think dense patches of blyxa makes them feel much more secure. Since moving my group to a tank heavily planted with blyxa, they have become bolder and spend more time out in the open. The males also seem to spar more often.
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote