Fish Poll!! Need Help Deciding on Schoolers
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

View Poll Results: What schooling fish will do better in my tank?
Congo Tetra 5 16.67%
Cardinal Tetra 16 53.33%
Dwarf Neon Rainbows 9 30.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Arrow

Fish Poll!! Need Help Deciding on Schoolers

Tank specs: 30g freshwater, heavily planted with driftwood. HOB filter.

Inhabitants:
Betta
German Blue Ram
Zebra Loach
2 Cory Cats

Thinking about getting one of these schools:

Congo Tetras (5)
Cardinal Tetras (10)
Dwarf Neon Rainbows (7)

What school would be better for the size of my tank and other fish? I know all are peaceful but I'm wondering about enough room (36" long tank). Also if I were to do Cardinals, would 15 do ok or too many? Thanks!
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
Imi Statue
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would shoot for anything that likes the upper half of the tank more since you have plenty of bottom half dwellers already.

I voted Congo.

Bakshi references are always cool!
Imi Statue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
NoUniqueSnowflake
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Congos can be semi-aggressive, at least the males. Mine pick fights with other fish with impressive finnage, such as male mollies and swordtails and angelfish. Your betta could be at risk for bullying.
NoUniqueSnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
zoragen
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

I picked the dwarf neon rainbows because I have them & they are fun to watch

I've never had the other 2.
Eheim Pimp Club #490 Ecco 2232
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

I should add that I don't have the Betta yet, he's just on my list. I was waiting to see if I was going to do Cardinals or not as I probably won't mix a Betta with them, they just aren't too nice (generally) with small, slow fish. I've heard Congos can be a bit testy, and I can always get a Gourami of some sort instead of a Betta and do Congos. I'm mostly not wanting to do Cardinals because they might hide quite a bit even though my tank is heavily planted. Dwarf Neons were my first choice so I'm tempted to just stick with them. Thanks for the input!
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 AM   #6
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

Anyone know if Dwarf Neons are more top-dwellers vs. mid dwellers?
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 AM   #7
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

Cardinals would be your best bet IMO. Congos can get a bit larger and aggressive like stated before. Do you only have 1 zebra loach and 1 GBR? If so, if you have a good amount of plant mass, you can add 20 cardinals IMO.

Personally I have a school of ~80 cardinals in my 95G in my signature and they school lovely, given that 35 of them are only half an inch and were just added yesterday, they're already schooling with the larger cardinals already. I've also noticed that they school better when they're the only fish in the tank. Originally I had 3 cherry barbs, 2 SAE's and 8 Roselines and they didn't school nearly as well as they do now.
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 AM   #8
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
Cardinals would be your best bet IMO. Congos can get a bit larger and aggressive like stated before. Do you only have 1 zebra loach and 1 GBR? If so, if you have a good amount of plant mass, you can add 20 cardinals IMO.

Personally I have a school of ~80 cardinals in my 95G in my signature and they school lovely, given that 35 of them are only half an inch and were just added yesterday, they're already schooling with the larger cardinals already. I've also noticed that they school better when they're the only fish in the tank. Originally I had 3 cherry barbs, 2 SAE's and 8 Roselines and they didn't school nearly as well as they do now.
I've heard the larger the shool, the better they look (especially with Cardinals). Yes, only one of each GBR and loach, was planning on getting another loach (LFS only had one left ) Wasn't expecting to get the cory cats but hubby brought some home as a surprise...*cough cough* which is why I have so many bottom dwellers. Not planning on another GBR though. Think I'll nix the Congos as they probably should have a minimum of a 4' long tank and so I don't have aggression issues. Thanks!
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:54 AM   #9
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

By LFS I assume you mean The Wet Spot since you're local. If I recall correctly, they get their shipments in on Wednesdays. You can always call in and see if you can get that zebra loach another companion since they are a schooling fish and they stay somewhat small...

You can probably get away with the following with adequate filtration and plant mass to help reduce ammonia/nitrites/nitrates:
20-25 Cardinals
1 GBR
2 Cory Cats
2-3 Zebra Loaches
Old 01-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #10
uberape
Algae Grower

anything other than the dwarf neons and your betta will get horribly murdered. cardinals nip when they get going and dont stop. the congos will kill him in a couple days. unless its a female then its fine but cardinals have killed a female of mine as well
uberape is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

dwarf neons hands down. have you cosidered threadfin rainbows? Stunning fish, although probably not the tight schooling your looking for.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

I would go with the cards in a 30G. Congos are great fish, BTW I've kept with small tetras, shrimp and even fancy guppies without a problem, although during feeding time they 'accidentlly' ate my rasbora espei due to their over exuberance on two occasions over probably two years.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
Tenor1
Planted Tank Obsessed

IMO, your tank is too small for the Congos or Rainbows. Cardinals are the right size, but I want to recommend looking at Diamond Neon Tetras, if they are available in your area. They are stunning. The red is brighter than the Cardinal, it's more like the Blood Fin Tetra. The portion that has no color, like a regular Neon, is the diamond part and sparkles and reflects just like little diamonds, thus the name. You can see the sparkle from the ambient room light available, where Cardinals would be dark and hard to see.

It's a harder to find fish, just remember...it's a Diamond Neon Tetra, not a Diamond Tetra, that one is completely different. It's well worth the look for your size tank.

After 50 years I do a lot of things right, but still get things wrong
Tenor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

If you want a 'true' schooler long-term I would go with either Rummynose Tetras or some of the rasboras like harlequins or espei, I think bloodfins are good too, cardinals every time I've had them eventually they're just dots of color all around the tank.
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #15
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

With schoolers I think rummynoses are indeed at the top. But with harlequins i think they loosen up over time.

With cardinals I've found that they school better when they're the only fish in the tank (apart from the few clean up crew members). They school a lot better now after I took the SAE's and roselines out of the tank.

Espei's are good. Especially since they're smaller. They're several choices out there. You just need to choose which you prefer and contrast in color and such.

Tags
cardinal tetra, congo tetra, dwarf neon rainbow, poll

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.