40g breeder stand with hidden gurney feature
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
GOJIRADOR
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

40g breeder stand with hidden gurney feature

Inspired by Hydrophites Industrial style stand I decided to make my own with a slight twist

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130112_143648.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	68337

Name:	IMG_20130113_001406.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	68361

Name:	IMG_20130113_001424.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	68369

Name:	IMG_20130113_001457.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	68377

Ahh shiny! The sides are recycled floor boards. Grooves were cut into the sides so that the center sheet of plywood could fit snugly inside them.

Name:	IMG_20130113_001604.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	68393

Name:	IMG_20130113_001637.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	68385

Name:	IMG_20130113_001701.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	68401
GOJIRADOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
GOJIRADOR
Algae Grower

Sorry for the wait I've just been a bit lazy A few steps were skipped so allow me to explain. I've got doors on either side because it's a room divider style tank and I felt like having access on both sides. I also painted it a clay-like color so that it not only matched the color of the floor boards that I used but also gives the idea that the aquarium is sitting on top earth so to speak.

Name:	IMG_20130204_164144.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	80594

Here the gurney handles are extended

Name:	IMG_20130204_164232.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	80602

the gurney is flipped over to reveal the handle extension mechanism

Name:	IMG_20130204_163955.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	80610

I was running out of time so a clever idea was needed to complete the locking mechanism for the handles. Screws were used to prevent them from going too far out or in. In the position seen below the pole is locked into place. To retract the handles simply twist them until the front screw hits the base and then push it through the gap between the brace and the base. Only the front screw can fit through this gap, the others stick out too far to fit

Name:	IMG_20130204_164015.jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	80618

Name:	IMG_20130204_163902.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	80626

Last edited by GOJIRADOR; 02-05-2013 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: Added content
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #3
GOJIRADOR
Algae Grower

might need this too
Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Interesting!!!

Why the groves in the top of the legs? Also are the legs regular 2x4s glued together?

subscribed!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

This is very cool. Looking forward to updates.
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
GraphicGr8s
Bow Ties Are Kool.

PTrader: (9/100%)

So he can slide 2 2x4s under the top and with 2-4 people move the tank.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
GraphicGr8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
moonshinetheslacker
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

This looks like its going to be pretty awesome! It looks like you've softened all the hard edges with a sander instead of using a router (a personal favorite of mine, as the detail makes it slightly more personal instead of standard) and I'm guessing you are going to whitewash or leave the wood uncovered and unstained. Im sure its all going to be beautiful.

I do have two very small recommendations. Make appropriate cuts in your bottom shelf so you can install cabinet doors at a later date (think 5 or 10 years down the road) you can even place the cuts innthe back, so the front will still look the same. That, and find a spot to install a paper towel holder!! The second bit was very sage advice given to me when I was building my Asian aquarium stand.

Peace be with you. Good luck with your bad @@@ stand.
Fraternity of dirt #32 I'm dirty
UGLY TANK
DIY Asian themed aquarium stand
moonshinetheslacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
GOJIRADOR
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
Interesting!!!

Why the groves in the top of the legs? Also are the legs regular 2x4s glued together?

subscribed!
Drew
Awesome no one has subscribed to one of my threads before! I needed the grooves so the retractable handles could be in the most stable postion, which is where the legs are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweifan View Post
This is very cool. Looking forward to updates.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinetheslacker View Post
This looks like its going to be pretty awesome! It looks like you've softened all the hard edges with a sander instead of using a router (a personal favorite of mine, as the detail makes it slightly more personal instead of standard) and I'm guessing you are going to whitewash or leave the wood uncovered and unstained. Im sure its all going to be beautiful.

I do have two very small recommendations. Make appropriate cuts in your bottom shelf so you can install cabinet doors at a later date (think 5 or 10 years down the road) you can even place the cuts innthe back, so the front will still look the same. That, and find a spot to install a paper towel holder!! The second bit was very sage advice given to me when I was building my Asian aquarium stand.

Peace be with you. Good luck with your bad @@@ stand.
Thanks! yes I used a sander. The gurney was coated in a finish (sorry cant remember what it is, but it was used to refinish an old table) that made it very smooth and watertight, the rest is painted.

I'm not quite sure what kind of cuts you're describing but oh well I've already got some doors on ha Definitely appreciate the advice on the paper towel holder it will be added to the design!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 AM   #9
GraphicGr8s
Bow Ties Are Kool.

Are you really going to try lifting a loaded tank up off the stand or is it to just move it on casters? OK just looked again. No casters. Do you think the wood screws (don't see any through bolts) will hold?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:56 AM   #10
GOJIRADOR
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Are you really going to try lifting a loaded tank up off the stand or is it to just move it on casters? OK just looked again. No casters. Do you think the wood screws (don't see any through bolts) will hold?
Well I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet hahah I DO NOT plan on lifting it with a full tank on it, I don't even think I have the strength lol I plan to be able to lift it with a tank 1/3 full of water for when I move (I'm in college so it happens alot). I'd be surprised if it couldn't even handle that, but who knows!
Old 02-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #11
GraphicGr8s
Bow Ties Are Kool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOJIRADOR View Post
Well I haven't gotten a chance to test it yet hahah I DO NOT plan on lifting it with a full tank on it, I don't even think I have the strength lol I plan to be able to lift it with a tank 1/3 full of water for when I move (I'm in college so it happens alot). I'd be surprised if it couldn't even handle that, but who knows!
I'd be surprised if it DID hold. Leverage is on the tanks side here. Use the short handles as the gimmick but leave it so you can get them out. Then get a dowel that will span the entire tank and leave you enough to grab hold of. Then you have a continuous piece.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:56 AM   #12
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I'd be surprised if it DID hold. Leverage is on the tanks side here. Use the short handles as the gimmick but leave it so you can get them out. Then get a dowel that will span the entire tank and leave you enough to grab hold of. Then you have a continuous piece.
I strongly doubt that those pipe brackets will work for the weight of the tank. If you are wrong about how well they will work you lose the tank, dump whatever water and substrate you have in it all over the floor, and have a major clean-up job to do, plus possibly paying for water damage. It isn't worth the gamble in my opinion. If you do as GraphicGr8s said, it would be much more likely to work - then it only fails if the dowels break, but I would use steel pipes instead.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:32 AM   #13
GraphicGr8s
Bow Ties Are Kool.

Hoppy, take a gander again at the pictures. Do you see those pipe brackets through bolted? I sure didn't. Drywall screws at worst, wood screws at best. But wood screws nonetheless. In a straight line with the load. That won't pull out straight away now will it? (Rhetorical)
Old 02-05-2013, 03:17 AM   #14
GOJIRADOR
Algae Grower

What I should say is thanks but it seems like I've left some details out of the description. They're not dry wall screws they're heavy duty wood screws that I bought seperately. There are Eight screws experiencing most of the load, I went to this website and calculated the weight of my tank at 1/3 volume which = 254.42 lbs / 8 screws = 31.8 lbs per screw, but they are not experiencing ALL the load because there is a second set of brackets that is accepting a smaller amount of force, even so 31.8 lbs is not enough in my mind to worry about. My research tells me that even at 70 lbs the wood is more likely to break than the screw is to rip out. My room mate and I have already tested our weight on it but I'll post a pic to provide some solid evidence

Last edited by GOJIRADOR; 02-05-2013 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: p.s.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #15
GraphicGr8s
Bow Ties Are Kool.

Four of your brackets are taking all of the load. The outer brackets are only holding the rods in place. What you've created is a simple lever on the inner brackets and you're actually multiplying the forces there. You've got straight line force on wood fibers. Start sloshing water around added to your actually moving the tank and you're just asking for trouble. We're only trying to help you avoid a problem. Trust me, I've built a few things that sounded good, worked in theory, and actually worked great in practice. For a while. Fortunately those instances have been rare. Sort of. Last one was a lumber cart. Looked great though