shrimp in my HOB, you too? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #16
dhgyello04
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (34/100%)

I found about 12 shrimp living in my Fluval 305 canister filter. After that I ran out and got a sponge to place over the inlet.
dhgyello04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
Fuze
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)

I used to have a sponge prefilter on my HOB but it got so clogged I just decided to go without it. Went to clean my filter the other day and found 25+ shrimplets in there munching away. Mostly ghost/cherry. At least the fish couldn't get to them..
Fuze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #18
R.sok
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yesterday I found 11 shrimp fry in my biocubes rear sump style chamber. I was in shock & I do wonder how many babies I have lost due to this. I had to double up on my prefilter now
R.sok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #19
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fdsh5 View Post
I find cherries in my only hob shrimp tank every time. They're only cherries so I don't worry
Racist toward shrimps
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #20
CoffeeLove
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've found a whole bunch of my cherries in the hob before. I wonder how many don't actually make it past the impeller.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
CoffeeLove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:41 PM   #21
azjenny
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Can you explain exactly what you did to that filter? I can't quite tell what I'm look at but it looks cool!
azjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:01 AM   #22
Mrturritos
Algae Grower

I am always looking in my canister to see if I have extra babies. Makes cleaning the thing less of a pain
Mrturritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #23
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjenny View Post
Can you explain exactly what you did to that filter? I can't quite tell what I'm look at but it looks cool!
It's an idea I got on here, lots of others doing it too - growing plants IN the filter, lets you grow stuff that doesn't like to be underwater too:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ht=planted+hob

What I did for mine was get a piece of black plastic mesh (under a buck at a craft store, usually in the 'yarn crafts' isle.

I bent that with my hands to follow the curve of the output of the filter, with a 'tail' in back I could shove into the filter to hold it in place. Tied some fissedens moss there, but riccia took hold a grew so I ran with that.

The rest of the filter I got a piece of black filter foam (the marineland canisters use thin sheets of black foam, petsmart has them) The way an Aquaclear filter is made I could put this thin sheet of black foam in the top and it stays wet but only half submerged. On top of that foam I out a few snips of Anubias, some regular "can't be underwater" moss from my yard, and 2 African Violet clippings. If they are happy there I am expecting all of that to grow hydroponic style, but I just set it up a week ago so we will see.

If they don't do well there are lots of plants that definitely will, check that other thread for ideas!
Old 01-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #24
azjenny
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Does it make it super hard to clean your filter?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #25
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

not so far - lift out the plastic mesh and the top sponge and it looks normal. I really don't have to clean it all that often either - have a small sponge pre-filter that keeps a lot of stuff out.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:11 PM   #26
pinoyghost2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

I actually watched my berried snow white march right up the front of my Marina I25 inside filter and out above the water I freaked out and pushed her back down, but I think she was heading for the filter floss inside the filter itself and could only get at it from going straight up and over the wall....Jail break, shrimp style!
pinoyghost2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #27
azjenny
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would love to do something to lessen the flow of my AC30 so that I could have frogbit in there again, does it help with the flow?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #28
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjenny View Post
I would love to do something to lessen the flow of my AC30 so that I could have frogbit in there again, does it help with the flow?
i use fluval 'chi' filter (black one) and cut it to fit the outflow and dangle a bit into the water. blocks the outflow from the shrimp, and it's so 'airy' it lets the water pass right through (makes me wonder how sucky it is as a filter medium) ..you could probably use any REALLY OPEN think sponge ... the chi is perfect and for the azoo i get 4 long or 8 short filter flow regulators per pack .. i've even used it on the outflow spray bar of my finnex p360 when it was new to soften the flow (luckily the flow softens over time)

love the plant in the filter idea... keep us up to date on roots in media and stuff.
1 betta

Here they are http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...p?albumid=9625

6 gallon journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...208&highlight=

you can see more photos here the 4 8" cubes are on flicker... will get to their journal at some point (they are fun as they change often)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laq/

webdesign: www.littleowlwebdesign.com
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #29
Fdsh5
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieM View Post
Racist toward shrimps
Ouch, that hurts. I only meant that they are indestructible and I just plop them back in the tank.
Fdsh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #30
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (13/100%)

Where do I begin.. This has been a nightmare for me.

My Fluval spec devoured shrimp like no tomorrow for over a year before I realized there was a small slit they ventured into, never to return.

And on my latest adventure, my shrimp decided it would be beyond fun to both get in the intake tube and in the outflow of my Azoo Palm HoBs. I saved countless shrimp. But at least 4, including a tangerine tiger, were beheaded by Mr. Impeller. And that only drew more shrimp back there >_>.

I grappled with this for a while, as my nanos are too small for big sponges on intake tubes. I got H4N to make me some SS guards for the inflows AND outflows.

I used to have moss growing out of my HoB as well.. But the dead shrimp weren't worth the pretty sight.

Attachment 68281
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.

Last edited by MABJ; 06-12-2014 at 09:47 PM..
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote