Aquarium Stand
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
ryu1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Aquarium Stand

Has anyone used petco metal stand like this one below. Is it sturdy for a 40 breeder? I was thinking building a simple wood stand using 2x4, but i wont be saving much money building it myself. If it is good, then I would rather spend some extra money and buy it from the store. Thanks.

http:// www.petco.com/product/119923/Petco-Brooklyn-Metal-Tank-Stand.aspx?CoreCat=LN_FishSupplies_StandsFurniture
ryu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #2
OldJedi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Smile

I just ordered two of those for the two 40-gal breeders I bought during the $1/gal sale on tanks. Online they were only $60 and with free shipping. The store here would not match the price. Being delivered tomorrow. Meanwhile, I bought one for my 10-gal and have it in hand. Very solid stand. What I like the most is the levelling feet. My floor is not true, and I hate an uneven waterline!
OldJedi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
Miles03
Algae Grower

Actually got one for $35 shipped a few weeks ago, can't beat that price. Seems plenty strong for a 40 breeder...
Miles03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
ryu1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (56/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles03 View Post
Actually got one for $35 shipped a few weeks ago, can't beat that price. Seems plenty strong for a 40 breeder...
How did you get it for $35 shipped?
ryu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
Miles03
Algae Grower

It was on sale for $43 and some change a really weird price...$5 shipping and had $10 reward dollars. The sale was really weird and random, got an email about it and couldn't believe the price. All of them were less than $50.
Miles03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #6
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

I think it's fairly safe to assume that if a major chain carries a stand intended to hold a given size tank, it will probably work fine for that. -now that I think of it, when I first started with aquaria, the tanks with warranties were only honored if it was kept on a manufactured/store bought stand.

Anyways, I haven't seen very many stands in the stores that I thought were worth buying, they almost always seem to be some bad combination of overpriced, poor quality, or ugly.

Granted, I think I've seen that stand in the store, and I thought it didn't look too bad for the price. I'm still heavily biased towards DIY 2x4 stands, but that's more cause I like messing with stuff and planning it out, and making it fit my specific situation, and less about saving money.

Leveling feet are a nice touch, I didn't realize it had them. -it's not too hard to get some after market or DIY ones if you want to add some to a stand you like, plus it's easier, better looking, and probably more stable then pounding shims under one end of a stand.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

I have that stand - easy to assemble, very sturdy, love the leveling feet. Just skip the little squishy pads you're supposed to put on the top - they all got scraped off when we put the tank on top anyway.
chibikaie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

This metal stand is exactly what I plan to buy for my 40B this weekend.

Would be nice if it had shelves, but those can be readily created with metal shelving pieces, or plywood.
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
EricSilver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 04:20 AM   #9
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

FYI: The Brooklyn stand replaces the Manhattan model, which is discontinued -- and deep discounted. I purchased one this evening for my 40B for $29.00.
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
Old 01-19-2013, 05:06 AM   #10
laqu
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

can i use plywood to put a smaller tank on it?
1 betta

Here they are http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...p?albumid=9625

6 gallon journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...208&highlight=

you can see more photos here the 4 8" cubes are on flicker... will get to their journal at some point (they are fun as they change often)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/laq/

webdesign: www.littleowlwebdesign.com
laqu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 05:17 AM   #11
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Have a 55 on one of these. Sturdy and does what it's supposed to do. If you don't mind not having a place to store/hide equipment such as a canister filter and other supplies, go for it. Can't beat the price. Very easy to assemble.
Dx3Bash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by laqu View Post
Based on the info you provided, you should have no problems at all. They are steel frames, very strong.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:34 PM   #13
mach_six
Planted Tank Enthusiast

During the Christmas times they were on sale for even cheaper. They are very sturdy compared to the one you can get on Foster Smith but they just can't accomodate same size tank on the bottom that they can.
mach_six is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 07:00 AM   #14
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by laqu View Post

Just make sure you use a decent thickness of plywood, so that it doesn't bow/flex significantly. And use some foam or something too.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

FYI: When assembling these stands it is a good idea to not immediately tighten the bolts. Insert and hand-tighten so there is still some play in the top, side and bottom pieces. Then flip it upside down on a table or other flat surface and tighten the bolts sequentially, from corner to corner, to assure the top remains flat.

Even then, you will likely not be able to tighten the bolts completely, and keep the frame parts flat, because the bolt holes in the sides are slightly misaligned. But you will be able to tighten it enough, and use the adjustable legs to compensate for any corner-to-corner rocking when you set the tank on top of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.