Help me plan out my next tank.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #1
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Help me plan out my next tank.

Okay, I want to lay out a game plan and hear what you guys think about it and what changes/suggestions you have. Basically right now I have a 29g tank with 3 "sharks" and 6 barbs and I'm looking to move out the two bigger sharks (Silver Tipped and Raphael) to a proper tank, but things are much more complicated than a simply throwing water and fish into the new tank of course.

I'll be watching Craigslist for the next month or two until I find a good deal on a 75-100 gallon tank and then starting the whole adventure. First let me say I've reviewed the nice guide here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=176340
and that is a very helpful start. I plan on putting down a layer of the plant stuff under the substrate and then reading more into what substrate I want based on what plants I'll want, but more on that later.

I can't find the picture again, but I basically envision finding suitable rocks around town and doing the whole boiling thing to make the middle half and back of the tank a nice rock structure. I plan on leaving lots of areas within the rock formation for those who want to hide to hide. When fish get bigger down the line I think it might be best to put some better cover for them, but I'm not sure. From there I want to spend several weeks just planting the tank (something I'm only starting to experiment with now in the 29g tank. I plan to keep this low-tech. I envision some mossy type stuff on the rocks with maybe a few very short growing plants, and then high plants off to the sides of the rocks, and then in front of course medium to short plants moving forward.

Once I'm happy with the plant growth I'd like to transport the two before mentioned sharks over and make sure they do well there. (Quick question, when filling the new tank should I use some of the water from the old tank?) Now the question becomes fish stocking. Basically I'd like to add a pleco, rope fish, and an eel, but I don't know if that would be too many things competing for the bottom even in a large tank, what say you guys? If it is okay, or even if I can't have all of those there is a question about the rest of the tank. With my current tank being Barb based I'm thinking either doing a Cichlid tank or a Gourami/Community tank up top. I know Cichlid's are aggressive, so are they out or would they leave my bottom fish alone?

As I've only ever maintained a simply 29g tank I'm sure there are many flaws in my plan and many things I've left unanswered, so please grill me and let me know what you think so as this things starts to materialize it can be as healthy and awesome as possible, thanks!

Last edited by Rush3737; 01-17-2013 at 04:38 PM.. Reason: Adding stuff
Rush3737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh, and I had forgotten about a fish I had seen/read about long ago and absolutely loved the idea of.

How would a Black Ghost Knife fit into all my plans?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
shiloh
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

IME if you have to ask whether or not there will be too many fish you should probably err on the side of caution, at least to start. I would say your plan sounds a bit too ambitious, it seems like you want a little of everything. If you want to have a rockwork dominated scape maybe you should consider an african cichlid tank with a few hard-water plants.

As for the black ghost knife fish, these get big and can be quite aggressive and really belong in a specimen tank.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
IME if you have to ask whether or not there will be too many fish you should probably err on the side of caution, at least to start. I would say your plan sounds a bit too ambitious, it seems like you want a little of everything. If you want to have a rockwork dominated scape maybe you should consider an african cichlid tank with a few hard-water plants.

As for the black ghost knife fish, these get big and can be quite aggressive and really belong in a specimen tank.
Well I've been thinking and I can do without the rope fish as it has the jumping out of tank issues I don't need to throw into all this, and it's not that I think that two catfish, a pleco, and an eel would at all be too much for the tank I just don't know if that would be overload specifically on fish that prefer to scrounge around the bottom.

I had seen that the Black Ghosts will eat anything that can fit in their mouth, which is why I figured they'd be good with Cichlids, but them my question remains whether Cichlids will allow the large bottom feeders and such alone or whether or not that is a problem.

My tap water is naturally on the harder side, so that also favors Cichlids and as you said hard-water plants.

Last edited by Rush3737; 01-17-2013 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 01-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay, theoretical question. What would be better, a 75-100 gallon with the two sharks, pleco, eel, and potentially a Ghost Knife with Cichlids up top, or a 55 gallon tank with just the two sharks and Cichlids? Once again this is all up to some hopeful experience people have had with Cichlids and sharks. In the latter case how many average sized Cichlids could I have?
Old 01-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Sd760
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/50%)

So exciting.
Sd760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sd760 View Post
So exciting.
Yes?
Old 01-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
Rush3737
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay, the more I read about Cichlids the more I think they'll need their own separate tank, and that's something I'd love to tackle down the road but I'm going to throw them out of the equation for now.

So my question about the bottom of the tank remains, but up top a lighter mix of Gouramis and/or community fish should pretty much be fine I'd think.