Review: Living Art Aquarium in Madison
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Wisconsin

Old 06-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Review: Living Art Aquarium in Madison

Well I think I am one of the very few who visits this section but for who ever it may help I will give my review of the Living Art Aquarium fish store in Madison. Upon arriving, the shop looked very nice and is in a great area of Madison. When I first entered the shop was small but very clean and inviting. I was very surprised that every tank was clean, and I mean CLEAN. Big plus for me. The selection of fish was pretty good but not excellent due to the limited space. I was surprised as well by the amount of live plants they had for sale. I also snagged some nice rock there for a future build. Prices were about what I would expect. A little pricy but I have yet to see a fish store that isn't. I also found that they keep several neos and caridinia species as well which was awesome. Overall I would give the store a 4.5 out of 5.

Cons:
-small
-somewhat limited selection

Pros:
-Very clean
-great staff
-carry plants and dwarf shrimp
-convenient location
-some unique species of fish
-great reef section (for our reef goers)

Hope this helps. Please remember this is my own opinion based on my own interests.

-Thor
tenzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
becks17
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)

I would also say that Living Art is overpriced. They do often have rarer species and I agree with the other pros, but if you're looking for more common species I prefer going elsewhere.
Also, love the fact they now have a "nano" section!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
tenzero1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks17 View Post
I would also say that Living Art is overpriced. They do often have rarer species and I agree with the other pros, but if you're looking for more common species I prefer going elsewhere.
Also, love the fact they now have a "nano" section!
They had some pretty cool little things going on in the nano section I wanted a few of the tiny fish they had. Kinda pissed now with them because some rock I got from them is partly disintegrating in my vinegar bath. Evidently its not completely slate. Also, evidently not many people like to do much in Madison because were about the only two who post about it. Wisconsin is pretty lame as a whole for planted tanks lol.
tenzero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
Pro68camaro
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I went for a road trip once and went there. They arent to many stores that are by me. But anyways i thought it was a really nice store. Prolly had the best rare fish selection then any other store i went too. The next up would be just pets in appleton for me. But anyways i think its a great store. Its just small.
Pro68camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Troxey
Algae Grower

Yeah, I've been there a few times. I would agree that they are a bit pricey, but that is to be expected. They seem to have a decent variety of fish in the limited space available. I haven't bought and plants from them, but they look decent.
Troxey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
hermythewermy

The staff there haven't been terrible, they just don't really give you advice when you ask for it. They're kind of waffly.
hermythewermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Aquaticus
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default Cycling tank

I went in the other day to see if they had any bio bags or anything to help cycle a new tank. The guy working there said they didn't do that, and didn't recommend it because of diseases. When I said that I am not going to have any fish in it for a while and will be cycling it with ammonia, he still said something about diseases and referred me to the Tetra cycling product for $8.95. Frustrating.
Aquaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #8
Teishokue
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Yes, it is a business and they will sell you stuff. I attend Living art quite often before. It's quite small and expensive for the quality of creatures that they offer. Lately the variety has become more scarce this past year. Honestly it is nothing too special. I would probably ask for specialty fish otherwise prices for common fish are over the edge. The staff is not that great; in my experience it was like hawk eyes watching me; they will only tell you a lot of product recommendations. I would only go for specialty items. Driftwood specifications, price comparison with meds and things as such. Shrimp grades are low, plants have wonderful color.

Variety - I'd give it a 3/5
Quality of fish - I'd give it a 3/5 (compared to others in Madison 4/5)
Quality of Plant - 4/5
Price - I'd give it a 3/5
Staff - 2/5

Overall i'd give Living art a 3/5.
Teishokue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Aquaticus
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I've continued to stop by Living Art regularly, since it is near my favorite store, Menards. I've only bought one group of fish from them, Otos, which all died within three days. Admittedly Otos can be finicky, but I've got healthy ones from other places, and my water passed with flying colors. I think their fish are way overpriced as well as their plants. $5 for Jungle Val? Once I asked for rigid airline tubing; they had none.
Aquaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #10
kingfisherfleshy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Living Art is...okay.

Fish selection can occasionally beat out other stores in the state.

Prices are high, but negotiable.

Staff is okay.

Ace Hardware in Wausau has them beat, as does Best Fish in Milwaukee.

There is a store in Appleton as well that had a good selection of oddball fish when I went there.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:31 AM   #11
Veneration
Algae Grower

FYI, they've moved, and they'll be reopening June 2nd.

I'll be curious to give it a look once it opens again, since I think they're going to be in a much bigger location.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #12
kevinmichael77
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneration View Post
FYI, they've moved, and they'll be reopening June 2nd.

I'll be curious to give it a look once it opens again, since I think they're going to be in a much bigger location.

New store is open! Place is huge and really nice. They aren't completely stocked yet but they are getting new stock each week. I'm about an hour away but it's definitely the nicest store within my range and although pricier than the box stores quality is much better.
kevinmichael77 is offline   Reply With Quote