Filter media
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Teachercjc
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Filter media

I have a JBL Crystal Profit external filter and wondered if I had to stick to JBL when buying replacement carbon etc. The internal media is rectangular but has a circular hole in the center you take out and replace with other media.

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
Teachercjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
cichnatic
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

You do not have to use JBL's carbon or replacement media. Carbon and media can be purchased elsewhere and dump them into the filter baskets.
EHEIM #525
cichnatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Better off without carbon other then it being linked to HITH, it really only lasts a week at best.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
Better off without carbon other then it being linked to HITH, it really only lasts a week at best.
All he's trying to accomplish is removing the Chlorine before the water goes into the tank...

I've never had a problem running carbon in any tank that I've had in the past 14 years. Though, I've never noticed a huge need for it either.

Granulated carbon has more surface area, but it may have a shorter lifespan...
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
All he's trying to accomplish is removing the Chlorine before the water goes into the tank...

I've never had a problem running carbon in any tank that I've had in the past 14 years. Though, I've never noticed a huge need for it either.

Granulated carbon has more surface area, but it may have a shorter lifespan...
But if any dust from the carbon gets into the water it can lead to HITH in fish. Cheaper in my opinion, and safer is to just get a bottle of prime. 5ML treats 50 gallons, 250ML bottle $5- Carbon has a max lifespan of a week. As more, and more data comes out showing carbon, carbon dust, low quality carbon is used in aquaria causes fish health issues, i think the more it should be mentioned there runs a risk. If it's a fishless tank, same answer though i'm unaware of any plant risk using seachem prime.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
But if any dust from the carbon gets into the water it can lead to HITH in fish. Cheaper in my opinion, and safer is to just get a bottle of prime. 5ML treats 50 gallons, 250ML bottle $5- Carbon has a max lifespan of a week. As more, and more data comes out showing carbon, carbon dust, low quality carbon is used in aquaria causes fish health issues, i think the more it should be mentioned there runs a risk. If it's a fishless tank, same answer though i'm unaware of any plant risk using seachem prime.
I've never had any ill effects from using prime in planted tanks.
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote