Question on keeping my tank low tech...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Question on keeping my tank low tech...

I have been bouncing around ideas for my tank, but I have no idea where to settle. Heres what I got...

I've been thinking about possibly jumping into C02, but I really dont want to do this. I want to keep everything low tech and easy on the maintenance.

So I bought some Ferts from Nilocg, and have been thinking about changing my tank over to a dirted tank. Thinking about going with Peat moss sprinkled on the base of the tank, then covered with an inch of Organic Miracle Grow, and then capped with pool filter sand.

Right now I have my setup really basic. With just Pool filter sand, fert tabs, and flourish. Just started dosing dry ferts, but it hasnt been long enough to really notice an effect, only 2-3 days so far.

What do you all suggest? Will this work?

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Cinbos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
shiloh
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Depends on what you want to grow. Remember that all the ingredients have to be in proportion to get growth. You have to find the equilibrium between the amount of light you're providing, the dissolved co2, and the ferts. The lighting is obviously the hardest to change, so that will determine what you can grow and how fast you can grow it. If you have low light and you start injecting co2 and doing a lot of dry fert dosing you may see some improvement but you will be limited in the growth because of the lights. What I'm saying is don't expect a big explosion in growth because of changing substrate or adding ferts.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Heres my stock list as of now, and do not plan to make any changes or additions to it:

Various Anubias
Anubiad Petite Nana
2 Large Amazon Swords
2 Small Amazon Swords
Java Moss
Giant Hairgrass
Chain Swords
and Lutea

The lighting is low to moderate. 48in Dual T8 Shoplight, with GE Daylight bulbs at 6,500K and 32 watts a piece. Also had reflective tap to the shop light.

Fish
3 GBR, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Juvenile Super Red BN Plecos, 9 Oto Catfish, 9 Bloodfin Tetras
Plants
Rotala Indica, Cardamine, Crypt Spiralis, Pygmy Chain Swords, Dwarf Sag, Lutea Crypt, Wendtti Bronze and Red, and Floating Frogbit
Old 01-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #4
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
Depends on what you want to grow. Remember that all the ingredients have to be in proportion to get growth. You have to find the equilibrium between the amount of light you're providing, the dissolved co2, and the ferts. The lighting is obviously the hardest to change, so that will determine what you can grow and how fast you can grow it. If you have low light and you start injecting co2 and doing a lot of dry fert dosing you may see some improvement but you will be limited in the growth because of the lights. What I'm saying is don't expect a big explosion in growth because of changing substrate or adding ferts.
Also, I am not expecting a growth explosion for my plants, just simply want them to be healthy. Started noticing some yellowing on my large swords and chain swords, so something is off.

Fish
Plants
Old 01-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
shiloh
Planted Member

In that case I think you're on the right track. Swords especially appreciate plentiful root nutrients. Yellowing leaves is a sign of low potassium or macros IIRC.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
In that case I think you're on the right track. Swords especially appreciate plentiful root nutrients. Yellowing leaves is a sign of low potassium or macros IIRC.
Which I'm currently in the process of adding, with the ferts from nilocg on here.

Fish
Plants
Old 01-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
wheatiesl337
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)

I have been pleased with the results of dirted plants for root feeders. So far, I have only used inert capping materials.

I would recommend looking into a high CEC capping material such as eco-complete or safe-t-sorb. I have been seeing many people reporting great, long-term success capping dirt with high CEC stuff.
wheatiesl337 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatiesl337 View Post
I have been pleased with the results of dirted plants for root feeders. So far, I have only used inert capping materials.

I would recommend looking into a high CEC capping material such as eco-complete or safe-t-sorb. I have been seeing many people reporting great, long-term success capping dirt with high CEC stuff.
I will still use some sort of dirt source, but I will cap with pool filter sand which is completely inert, has no ill effect on the water column. Anyone know where I can get leonardite from? I have been reading that peat moss affects the ph and hardness and I'd rather not mess with the water in terms of those.

Fish
Plants
Old 01-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Anyone know where to get leonardite? Heard its a bit more benficial than peat moss.

Fish
Plants
Old 01-28-2013, 03:43 AM   #10
Cinbos
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Question on keeping my tank low tech...

Anyone?

Fish
Plants
Old 01-29-2013, 12:48 AM   #11
variable
Algae Grower

I used humate in one of my tanks. It is oxidized lignite, according to the label. That seems to be interchangeable with leonardite, and another brand of humate I bought says leonardite on the label. The brand I wound up using is Lady Bug http://www.ladybugbrand.com/products/Humate.asp . I also bought Rabbit Hill Farms brand ( http://stores.gardenvarietyorganics....ate/Detail.bok ), but it's pelletized, and I preferred the texture and washability of the Lady Bug.

Both of these are Texas brands, but if you have an organic nursery or garden supply near you, they should carry humate.
variable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.