Fluval U Series Underwater Filters
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Aqua07
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval U Series Underwater Filters

Just wondering if anyone is using the underwater filters from Fluval (U series).

If so, any feedback to share?

Thanks
Aqua07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2013, 02:08 PM   #2
benjaf
Algae Grower

Don't buy the U1 (the small one) unless you plan on putting it in something smaller that 5G. It would clog completely in a week in my 14G.
It also had a design flaw that meant the lid did not open fully unless the filter was loosened from the glass. This was 2 years ago, so they might have fixed that issue.
I assume the bigger ones are more useful, but haven't tried any of them.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
Gasol1
Algae Grower

I have a U3 in a 20g high, and I like it. I had a generic Marineland Eclipse3 kit that I upgraded to a Finnex LED and Fluval U3 when the ballast broke for the second time on the Eclipse3.

Tank is cleaner now, and the U3 is silent. I use the spray bar setting and have to angle it against the glass or it creates too much current. In my old setup I had a second circulation pump in the bottom opposite corner for flow, I don't need it with the U3.

Only negative is it takes a lot of room in the tank, and its not pretty. You can pull the unit away from the frame (which is attached to the tank by suction cups) to take out the filters. This is a bit clumsy so you will want to siphon around the filter quickly.

This tank is on a corner table between some sofas and with my young kids I couldn't do a hang on the back or water ends up everywhere. I don't regret the U3 at all.
Gasol1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.