Returning to the Hobby After a 2-Year Break
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Returning to the Hobby After a 2-Year Break

I am returning to the hobby after a 2-year or so break. I just purchased a new 40-gal breeder because I love the dimensions (36x18x16 vs my 29's 30x12x18, which I felt was too tall and narrow).

This will be a "low-light" tank, as my 29 originally was, for one key reason: My problems began when I refitted my 29's 36 watt, 5000K lighting with a 55W, 6700/10000K high-output fixture. Prior to that my plants were vibrant green and the tank was algae-free. After refitting the 55W fixture it began to deteriorate.

I realize there are other potential variables that could have contributed to that, i.e., the switch from mineral-rich eco-complete substrate to inert Tahitian Moon sand, but I think the lighting -- specifically the higher spectrum -- was the single biggest factor. We shall see, this time around. ;-)

I plan to again use eco-complete and continue injecting CO2. I am unsure of filtration because I previously had a Marineland Eclipse 3 hood, which I loved, but now I will be looking at cannisters now. For lighting I am leaning heavily towards the Zoo Med AquaSun Quad T5 hood. Can anyone share pros/cons on that particular equipment?
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
EricSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
shiloh
Planted Member

quad t5 fixture on a 40breeder =/= low light
Old 01-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #3
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
quad t5 fixture on a 40breeder =/= low light
Yes, that would seem to take me out of the low light realm.
Aquasun 156W Quad 5000K || SunSun 302 Canister Filter (Sunsun Pimp #77) || Pressurized CO2 || Dual Current Gamma 15W UV Sterilizers || Hydor Inline Heater
Old 01-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

If you want low to medium light, get a Finnex Fugeray. If you want medium to high light in that tank, get the Ray II. I'd try out the Fugeray and you should be able to grow what you want with the CO2.

You can't go wrong with one of the classic Eheim canisters. Go bigger than you think you need. I have a 2075 on a 17 gallon =P By the time you fit an inline heater, a reactor for the CO2, etc -- you can really start to cut down your flow rate. Keep that in mind.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

@TexasCichlid -- thanks for the feedback. I will look at the lights you suggested.

I definitely looked at Eheim cannisters and, in browsing here, came across a new filter brand -- SunSun -- which people seem happy with too. Will give that a close look, considering its price.

Also, I neglected to mention that Petco is doing its $1/gallon sale on tanks through this weekend. If you need a new aquarium, now is the time.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
EricSilver
Planted Tank Obsessed

Update: Just finished researching the Finnex LEDs. I love the idea of LEDs but want the flexibility of mixing/changing color temps, which t5's offer.

As for filtration, because of the overwhelmingly positive reviews, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Sunsun 302.