UV Sterilizer
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-17-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
Cthulhu
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

UV Sterilizer

I'm considering buying a uv sterilizer. The reason is, I bought a couple of dwarf gouramis 2 weeks ago, and it turns out they were sick and introduced what is probably columnaris to my aquarium, and it's now killing my lampeye killies.

This is the first time I have to deal with fish disease, and I don't want it to happen ever again. So the idea would be to run the uv sterilizers for a few weeks whenever I get new livestock. If they are sick, at least it won't spread. Makes sense?

I don't know if I'll get it soon enough for my curent problem, but I'm looking mostly at the future. I have a 25g, and am currently setting up a 95g.

Ideally I would get one that can be run on either tank whenever required. Is that possible?
Would a inline one work for both tanks? They have Eheim filters 2213 and 2217.
Or should it have it's own pump so the flow is the same in either tank?

Any particular model to suggest?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
kevins007
Algae Grower

I run my Eheim 2217 output into the Aqua UV sterilizer that I have.
Here is a link regarding UV sterilizers and the requirements.
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=36805
kevins007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #3
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Coralife 3x turbo twist is pretty good but w/e you choose to buy get a decent head output for a pump, but low GPH too to help with dwell time. I think i used a rio-200 for my 55 gallon tank as the pump. Dont really need to run them for a few weeks in those size tanks. 48 hours is almost enough, maybe a week at best since it can kill on contact, but it dosnt kill all forms of parasites, like ich for instance.

You should use your extra tanks as quarantine tanks with a salt solution around 1 teaspoon per 5 gallon, some melafix, and maybe a 5 day/7 day mardel ick treatmeant, and CopperSafe. no subtrate in the tank, and obviously no carbon which i dont even use on established tanks.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
Cthulhu
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins007 View Post
I run my Eheim 2217 output into the Aqua UV sterilizer that I have.
Here is a link regarding UV sterilizers and the requirements.
http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=36805
This is great help, thanks!
But OMG those things are expensive!

On their charts, companies say that parasites are killed at 45,000 uWs/cm2. But your arcticle says ich requires 336,000 uWs/cm2. I guess ich is an exception among parasites?

However, ich is not my primary concern. I've had new fishes sick with ich a few times in my reef, it almost always healed without any treatment, and it never infected other fishes. I guess ich won't be any more problematic in freshwater, healthy fish should fight it off.

I'm more concerned about infections like Columnaris which is plaguing me right now. So I guess a uv sterilizer that can deliver 45,000 uWs/cm2 (at 100gph for my 95g tank) would stop these kinds of infections from propagating?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
Edub
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Crap I misread, sorry
Edub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Columnaris is a bacteria infection right, not a parasite? What are the water test readings of your tank, curious if it's due to a high bio-load? If either is the case i'm not sure if a UV would really do anything, though a tag team of medications would, furan-2 and kanamycin administered together? I'm not all that familiar with Colomnaris, so learning a bit myself at the moment.

Last edited by CrypticLifeStyle; 01-17-2013 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: ...
CrypticLifeStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Cthulhu
Planted Member

You're right, columnaris is a bacterial infection. So it would require even less exposition tu uv to kill.
But if I get a uv steriliser, I might as well get one that can also kill most parasites.

I didn't test my water in years, but I'm pretty sure the problem is not from bad water quality.
My 25g has been running for years. I've had my 2 corydoras for 10 years. 10 lampeye killies (7 now) and 3 dwarf frogs for 5 years, 6 amano shrimps for 3 years.
No death in the last 3 years, except this summer a betta i've had for almost 4.5 years, and a frog when I moved 3 months ago.
So 2 weeks ago was the first time I get new fishes in 3 years, a couple of dwarf gouramis. The very first day they scratched against plants, and the male acted almost like a zombie. To make the story short, the male died 1 week after. And then I saw the female had something that looked like a scratch close to the mouth, which now looks more like columnaris. And 3 killies died since. The female gourami is now very weak and I wouldn't be surprised to find her dead when I come home later. Yesterday I put her in a bucket hoping to stop the infection from killing other fishes.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure the gouramis intruduced an infection in my aquarium, and I don't want it to happen ever again.

For now I'll get medications, but for the furure I'm hoping a uv sterilizer will prevent this kind of thing.