filter pad recommendation
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
seanski21
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

filter pad recommendation

Hello all,

I have a 55 gallon tank that is filtered by two HOB filters and an additional power head. The tank has as good flow but there is a lot of small debris/ dust in water.

So the question is what kind of media should I use to remedy this? Also the media has to be compatible with excel (not remove it from the water) and be cutable so that I can make it the right size.
seanski21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
Dx3Bash
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

I toss on a Magnum HOT with Micron filter on my 55 and it clears it up fairly quick.
Dx3Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
Lyctpsis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Just sounds like a matter of needing finer mechanical filtration to me. I've used the Aquaclear sponges (bought the largest size for the 500 model and cut to fit various Marineland Penguins) or the generic foam inserts and filter floss from Big Al's online.
Though be aware if you add fine filter sponges/floss, you'll have to keep on top of squeezing them out more often so the filter doesn't completely clog up.
Lyctpsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 AM   #4
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would purchase a Fluval 306 canister for that tank & be done with most filtration problems within days. You could add some carbon as well for a short time & the tank would clear right up. Remove the carbon in a week or so until clear . The new filters from Fluval are good. I would not run HOB filters on most planted tanks unless breeding shrimp in smaller tanks.
You could leave 1 of the HOB filters if you are in love with them. They make good Quarantine tank filters but poor performers at planted tanks. They expel too much CO2 from the tank. Dual canisters or 1 HOB filter with a strong canister combo.
Hardstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
talontsiawd
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd

Before buying another filter, I would try one of two things. First, try putting fine filter floss in. Put it as your second to last layer as you want something to hold it in place. The other quick and easy way would be to get Fluval prefilter sponges, assuming they fit on your HOB intakes. If they are Aquaclear filters from an AC 10 to an AC 50, they should fit perfect as that is what they were designed for. They will fit many other filters as well.

Note that the media will clog fast, either way you go. Not a problem as you want to get all the fine stuff out. I had the same problem with 2 AC's before and never thought much about it, added shrimp, thus adding the prefilters, water cleared up a lot.
talontsiawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Use the filter catridges for the HOB, tear off the blue floss, empty out the crap carbon, and use them as gates, and stuff them with non-toxic pillow stuffing from any crafts store. I've had good success putting pantyhose on the intake too for cloudy dusty water from new sand in new tanks.