sad Torta Vals & a DIY C02 question - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

found this under the "Jungle Val" profile. Might be an indicator of what is going on with yours...

"One of many vallisneria variety. A common problem when planting vallisneria sp is the leaves initially tend to break off. This is normal as the plant is acclimating from the great stress of being transported and re-planted. Watch out for K and Ca deficiency as the leaves are prone to develop holes and tears when lacking of minerals. Once it settles in, the gigantea variety grow very tall. Pruning is by cutting the excess top part. Propagate from runners. Do not severe from the motherplant until it reached usable size. Medicineman"
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #17
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

But yes, I would agree it might be best to first try a DIY CO2 system, especially on a lower light tank such as this and if the tank is small, then maybe upgrade to a canister before going with a pressurized system. However, upgrading to a pressurized system would allow better control over CO2 levels, even if part of the CO2 being added is being lost due to surface agitation from a HOB. That only means that your CO2 would not last as long, but CO2 is relatively inexpensive, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
AUvet14 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
leonardcarlson
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Drop checker is spot on, I'm at about 1.8 watts/g, alittle low, but I think it's ok, the bba is old stuff, as the co2 doesn't kill it, but, it has sopped spreading, I think I need to do a thorough cleaning, which is easier said than done
Plants amazon sword, American Val's, Anubis and a hydro- something, it's the hydro plant people mistake for hornwort
leonardcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardcarlson View Post
Drop checker is spot on, I'm at about 1.8 watts/g, alittle low, but I think it's ok, the bba is old stuff, as the co2 doesn't kill it, but, it has sopped spreading, I think I need to do a thorough cleaning, which is easier said than done
Plants amazon sword, American Val's, Anubis and a hydro- something, it's the hydro plant people mistake for hornwort
I don't worry about wpg, as it doesn't take into account which lighting technology you use and it definitely does NOT apply to LEDs. If you go by wpg, I have 2.6wpg but I have T5HO so PAR is much higher than 2.6wpg of T8 or compact fluorescent would be. I don't know the exact PAR that I have, but it is in the higher light range. I also have a bunch of fast growing, nutrient hungry stems, very densely planted, and under high lighting and I keep my drop checker at a lime green color.

As for the BBA, I had a CO2 mishap while on vacation and had a BBA outbreak which I am currently treating using an Excel overdose at 2x recommended dose. If you don't have any plants that are sensitive to Excel, this appears to be working since it is all turning pink now and hopefully will fall off here pretty soon. It is beginning to look worse and worse by the day. (worse as in poor health of the BBA, not the BBA growing even more)

Last edited by AUvet14; 01-16-2013 at 08:54 PM.. Reason: spelling error
AUvet14 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
leonardcarlson
Algae Grower

Thank you, I was wrong, I'm at 2.4 w/g t5 ho, I'll try the excell treatment, it will kill my Val's, but they are easy to grow back
Back to Matthew's so we don't high jack, look into excel, it eats Val's for breakfast
leonardcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #21
Matthew RJ
Algae Grower

melting is a good description of what's happening. I'll cut the dose of Excel immediately and up the dose of the flourish. Thanks for the help
Matthew RJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #22
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I do excel 3x a week at half dose and my vals are fine. Cut it down and see how they do.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
Beer
Planted Member

HOBs are fine. No need to upgrade the filter.
Not everybody is looking for crazy growth and lots of maintenance/trimming. Moderate growth and helping to keep algae at bay is more than sufficient for most people. Just changing the filter is not going to help. It does not address the issue, not to mention that he isn't even running CO2 at the moment.
Just keep the water level close to the filter return, as others have said, and you will be fine if you decide to go the DIY CO2 route.

Excel does melt Val according to most people that have it and have dosed Excel.

The pinewood air diffusers work fine for DIY CO2. Not a lot of back pressure and you get fairly small bubbles. Fluval makes a small ceramic diffuser that works well with DIY CO2 and doesn't look out of place in smaller tanks. The pressure is a bit higher, but the bubbles are a lot smaller. 12/16/20 oz soda bottles work well for smaller tanks. 2 liter bottles have a lot more surface area and will produce more CO2. I've used 2 liter bottles on a 10 gallon tank without issues, but it was heavily planted. I usually add some molasses to slow the fermentation and draw it out an extra week or two. You don't have to get too fancy with it. A soda bottle (designed to hold pressure, somewhere up to 100psi I think), some air line, a check valve (which you already have), a diffuser, and some suction cups.
Don't fill the bottle more than two thirds or so. The head space will allow for some foaming without carrying it into the tank.
Put some sugar in the bottle and some luke warm water and shake it up. Add a little bit of yeast (I get around ten batches in a 20 oz bottle from a single packet of yeast). You aren't brewing beer, you aren't looking for a vigorous fermentation, you want to draw it out over an extended period. Like I said, I add some molasses to extend the fermentation by adding some complex sugar strains and nutrients. Some people have complex recipes. I keep mine fairly simple. Like with other aspects of planted tanks (or any hobby really) you can make it as simple or as complex as you want. It's all up to how much money or time you want to invest and what type of enjoyment you get from it (more time working on the tank vs. more time spent watching the tank and it's inhabitants).
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 AM   #24
Matthew RJ
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the help. The C02 will go to a regulator and tank at some point (when I save enough $) but short term I need to do something to help the Vals. I think cutting the Excel would be the first step, and whatever DIY C02 I can work out will certainly help too.

Again thank you all!
Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
Matthew RJ
Algae Grower

So I've got a DIY C02 system working with a proper diffuser. I've also added mieralize for plants. GH by Aquavitro (which has Calcium and Magnesium). Hopefully that will make a difference.

Another question: I'm in the country with well water. We're using a water softner. Could that be damaging the plants?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.