Beware Shrimp Owners
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #1
jared992
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Beware Shrimp Owners

Today I found out my massive die off was caused by floramax midnight substrate. My PH literally went from 6.3 to over 8 after adding in the substrate. Even a small handful can raise the ph of the entire tank in 30 seconds. I probably got a bad batch, but I figured I should warn others out there so they do not have to rip their tanks apart.
jared992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #2
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I've heard about some bad batches for Eco Complete...
please don't happen to me.
Sorry for your loss though.
Kinection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

That's a rather blanket statement to blame you adding substrate to any already established tank, and that's what killed your shrimp? I've played with acids, peat, all kinds of things in playing with pH and never heard of going from 6.3 to 8 in 30 seconds with a handful of any substrate. a 6.3 pH would kill neo's more than a 8 pH would. That substrate is very very dusty, did you rinse it or just dump it in?

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #4
jimmytruong87
I v(^o^)v shrimp

PTrader: (32/100%)

that's why, you need buy fluval substrate
jimmytruong87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #5
sbarbee54
The Security Dude

PTrader: (107/100%)

Yeah there is allot of factors that could have happened. But 6.3 is very low to keep noes in. My mine is 6.8-7. If you want a good healthy breeding group

Sent from my iPad 3 using Tapatalk HD
Finnex Pimp #8
sbarbee54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:28 AM   #6
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Whenever adding substrate to an established tank, due diligence is always on the onus of the aquarium keeper to test the substrate in a container of water for parameter changes.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
jared992
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
That's a rather blanket statement to blame you adding substrate to any already established tank, and that's what killed your shrimp? I've played with acids, peat, all kinds of things in playing with pH and never heard of going from 6.3 to 8 in 30 seconds with a handful of any substrate. a 6.3 pH would kill neo's more than a 8 pH would. That substrate is very very dusty, did you rinse it or just dump it in?
I did not add the substrate to an established tank. I started the tank with the substrate. My PH out of the tap is 6.3.
jared992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
AnotherHobby
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared992 View Post
I did not add the substrate to an established tank. I started the tank with the substrate. My PH out of the tap is 6.3.
Out of curiosity, have you let your tap sit out for 24 hours and then tested it? A lot of tap water has CO2 in it that lowers the pH when it first comes out. Mine has 20 ppm CO2 and is 7.4 out of the tap, but raises to 8.2 in less than a day as the CO2 dissipates.
AnotherHobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #9
ravvin trann
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherhobby View Post
out of curiosity, have you let your tap sit out for 24 hours and then tested it? A lot of tap water has co2 in it that lowers the ph when it first comes out. Mine has 20 ppm co2 and is 7.4 out of the tap, but raises to 8.2 in less than a day as the co2 dissipates.
no wonder i can't even keep my feeder shrimp alive! I was using dirt from the back yard!
ravvin trann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:31 AM   #10
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Quote:

So you started the tank and added shrimp to it immediately? you didn't let the tank cycle? If that's the case, yes, pH will bounce sometimes drastically during the cycle and yes, it can kill your shrimp. You need to let the tank cycle and get established first before adding livestock. 2-6 weeks typically.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:55 AM   #11
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
So you started the tank and added shrimp to it immediately? you didn't let the tank cycle? If that's the case, yes, pH will bounce sometimes drastically during the cycle and yes, it can kill your shrimp. You need to let the tank cycle and get established first before adding livestock. 2-6 weeks typically.
if the tank hadn't cycled yet and you added shrimp ammonia could have killed them as well.

please tell us a little about your tank so that we can attempt figure out what happened (GH,KH,PH,Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite)

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #12
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Yes, if that tank wasn't cycled, not only would ammonia kill them but nitrites and nitrates as well could have had a part in it. Aquatic delight is right, we need more info as to what happened.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
Mrturritos
Algae Grower

Wow I think I know this guy or at least I heard about him from a co-worker. Poor guy came into the store to get a refund on the substrate. I tested my ph that has black flora max (2.5 gallon) and ph is 7.0 while the CRS tank is 6.8 being buffered down by bog wood and leafs.

He, I imagine lives close by and probably has similar tap water. The Ph this time of year goes up so if you haven't done a reset ph test of aged tap water might want to do that and then compare. Most people around western washington have either acidic or neutral water, but I have seen a few cases of people who live up north of seattle (rarely south) have very high 8.0ph depending on the time of year.
Mrturritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 AM   #14
Kehy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In Ellensburg (eastern side of the state) the pH out of my tap is about 7.6 and I've seen it go about 8.0...can we trade water?
Kehy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)

Crappy water here in Puyallup, too. Forced to use distilled for all of my tanks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote