"Siesta" a.k.a 2 photoperiods - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #16
Tenor1
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinibottom View Post
I always appreciate hearing the opinions of others, although I can't say I understand what yours is in this particular case. Is it your opinion that splitting photo periods is detrimental to fish health? If so, I'd be interested to know on what you base your opinion. I've seen a plethora of anecdotal evidence that it does not harm the fish. In fact, I've seen some of that evidence in this very thread (fish on split photo periods are healthy, eating, spawning, etc.)

I didn't get into the hobby to torture fish. I got into the hobby because I like fish, and invertebrates, and plants, and water, and soil, and light... you know, all the things that make up "the system". Fish AND plant health are among my goals. If I didn't care about that then I wouldn't have even asked the question as to whether anyone is aware if splitting photo periods was detrimental.
Here, here,

After 50 years I do a lot of things right, but still get things wrong
Tenor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 11:15 PM   #17
bikinibottom
Algae Grower

This really is a pretty fascinating topic. It's too bad there aren't more controlled experiments out there that measure different plant types under different lighting regimes. I'd imagine it's too monumental a task with too little payoff given the variety of lighting types and plants, and the number of factors that would impact plant growth (source water, substrate, dosing, stocking, interaction with other plants, etc.)
bikinibottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:48 PM   #18
thesawguy
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I can understand the lure of a split cycle for viewing purposes for a working individual but one thing to consider is that turning fluorescent lights on and off twice as often will shorten their useful life, wearing them out faster.
thesawguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #19
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesawguy View Post
I can understand the lure of a split cycle for viewing purposes for a working individual but one thing to consider is that turning fluorescent lights on and off twice as often will shorten their useful life, wearing them out faster.
+1 on thesawguy's comment; split periods do shorten the life expectancy of fluorescent tubes. Because I have found the output of my bulbs typically drops by 25% or more over a 12 month period (verified with PAR meter readings) I change my bulbs annually and seldom have a bulb fail prior to replacement.

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:24 AM   #20
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (328/99%)

I am a firm believer in siesta and run 4 hours on, 2 hours off, 4 hours on.

This method will help keep algae problems in check.

If its not a factor, you could just run your lights for 6-7 hours a day.

-g

gordonrichards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #21
bikinibottom
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the replies -- I'm pleased to hear so many people seem to have success using the split photo period. Getting back to my original question, I'm wondering about whether there is such a thing as "too dark" for the siesta. It seems like many of the people employing the method have their tanks next to windows and are therefore getting a fairly good amount of natural light in the middle of the day. My tank is in a finished, partially-underground basement room where the windows are at the ceiling, above the tank, so the room gets *some* natural light, but it's a pretty dimly lit room when the lights are off. On a dark, cloudy day I can barely even see what's going on inside the tank when the light is off. Does anyone think this is "too dark" for a siesta?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #22
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi bikinibottom,

My tanks are in a my lower level office with one 1/2 height window.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:18 AM   #23
bikinibottom
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi bikinibottom,

My tanks are in a my lower level office with one 1/2 height window.
Good to know, Seattle! Thanks again! I'm so grateful this forum is here and that folks are so willing to share their knowledge and experiences.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #24
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
All sorts of enthusiasts. Some people just want to grow plants in farm tanks and sell them. Some people want to have the nicest looking hardscape. Some want a jungle. Fauna, in all cases, may simply be optional beyond cleaner critters. Some may be only interested in adding a particular aesthetic to a room. I don't think anyone has the right to stand up and proclaim that the way they approach the hobby is any better than how someone else chooses to do so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenor1 View Post
This seems like a harsh accusation of fish abuse and maybe I'm completely misinterpreting it. I had the same question on a split-lighting schedule. Asking the question is a testament that there is concern for doing the right thing. I want to optimally enjoy and view my tank when I'm in the room. But I would like to know if there is any detriment to either flora or fauna with a split-lighting system. If there is any detriment, then I wouldn't want to do it.

There is a dimmer system that turns the lights on/off gradually so there is no shock to the fish. This is the reason I'm responding to this thread.
In my first reply, I did let the op know they had asked a thoughtful question.
My post wasn't directed at the op certainly or anyone in particular though one poster did prompt this response that I've been thinking about on and off recently. Maybe this is a topic worth discussing. I could start a new thread.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
bikinibottom
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
In my first reply, I did let the op know they had asked a thoughtful question.
My post wasn't directed at the op certainly or anyone in particular though one poster did prompt this response that I've been thinking about on and off recently. Maybe this is a topic worth discussing. I could start a new thread.
Sorry, again... not following you. If your comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but is in response to what one of the posters said, I still don't see it. Are you referring to people planning a split photo period for the sole purpose of viewing their tank? I really do want to understand you. I'll be interested in seeing your new thread if you decide to start one.

Steve001, I do agree with you that some of the posters in the forum can be revolting the way they talk about their tanks as if fish loss is just a financial loss or a hassle. But I really didn't see that in these posts. And the quotes you quoted in your last post were quotes made in response to your comment, which seemed misplaced in this thread. TexasCiclid pointed out that there are all kinds in this hobby, all entering the hobby for different reasons, with different goals in mind. Like it or not, that is what we've got. And none of us are "innocent", because there's nothing "natural" about what we're doing, let's face it. A plant from Indonesia, a fish from South America, substrate from a bag, all thrown into a glass tank filled with municipal water and illuminated by fixtures powered by coal-fired electricity.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikinibottom View Post
Sorry, again... not following you. If your comment wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but is in response to what one of the posters said, I still don't see it. Are you referring to people planning a split photo period for the sole purpose of viewing their tank? I really do want to understand you. I'll be interested in seeing your new thread if you decide to start one.

Steve001, I do agree with you that some of the posters in the forum can be revolting the way they talk about their tanks as if fish loss is just a financial loss or a hassle. But I really didn't see that in these posts. And the quotes you quoted in your last post were quotes made in response to your comment, which seemed misplaced in this thread. TexasCiclid pointed out that there are all kinds in this hobby, all entering the hobby for different reasons, with different goals in mind. Like it or not, that is what we've got. And none of us are "innocent", because there's nothing "natural" about what we're doing, let's face it. A plant from Indonesia, a fish from South America, substrate from a bag, all thrown into a glass tank filled with municipal water and illuminated by fixtures powered by coal-fired electricity.
Lets start a new thread and not derail this one.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #27
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonrichards View Post
I am a firm believer in siesta and run 4 hours on, 2 hours off, 4 hours on.

This method will help keep algae problems in check.

If its not a factor, you could just run your lights for 6-7 hours a day.

-g
Do you keep your CO2 going during the siesta?
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #28
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi TexasCichlid,

On the tanks that have CO2 I keep the CO2 running.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #29
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

Thanks. I will give this method a shot and see if I notice anything different. My only concern is gassing my tank during the siesta. How long do you give the CO2 time to build up before lights on initially, and when do you turn the CO2 off prior to final lights out?
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #30
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Thanks. I will give this method a shot and see if I notice anything different. My only concern is gassing my tank during the siesta. How long do you give the CO2 time to build up before lights on initially, and when do you turn the CO2 off prior to final lights out?
Hi TexasCichlid,

I run my CO2 24/7; CO2 is cheap and that way I don't worry about solenoid failure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.