Macro photos of freshwater amphipods
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
EWTC
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Macro photos of freshwater amphipods

amphipod tiff spotted edit colour_filtered unsharpen_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

It has been waaaaay too long since I posted any photos. Funny how life can speed-up and suck all your timeóespecially over Christmas holidays when you have kids! Anyhow, Iím back and after a 2-week hiatus I have finally posted some photos on my blog of freshwater amphipods (that I took last summer). The photo above is of a very pretty specimen of Gammarus lacustris; apparently the only species of freshwater gammarid amphipod found in British Columbia.

Whenever (and wherever) I have collected freshwater Gammarus in the past, they have been coloured drab shades of brown and olive green. But as you can see, the specimensIcollectedfrom this particular stream showed some real diversity in colouration, including some really pretty specimens with bright red spots on a translucent yellowish body. Others had a single very obvious bright red spot on their side. I still donít know if the spot was on the critterís exoskeleton or was something inside the bodyÖ

amphipod red spot sharpened copyright ernie cooper_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

I really need to get back to that stream again this summer to collect more of these crittersand do a better job of photographing themÖ

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com
EWTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
amajoh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Wow, gorgeous pics. I love the colors!
amajoh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
2in10
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

Fantastic shots
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
brinks
Algae Grower

awsome, keep posting.
brinks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
HX67
Planted Member

Thank you.

planethx

"I think we can make a buck on it so let's kill it."
HX67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
EWTC
Planted Member

Hi all, and thank you for the kind words.

The mystery of the amphipod with the red spot has been solved...it turns out that the red spot was actually an acanthocephalan (thorny-headed or spiny-headed worm) parasite called Polymorphus. Acanthocephalans are parasitic and donít have a digestive tract; they are basically a sack containing reproductive organs and musculature with a spiny proboscis that can stick out of one end. The proboscis is used to stab into and attach to the gut of its host (the animal in which it is living and feeding from). They ingest nutrients directly through their body surface.

The cool thing is how Polymorphus alters the behaviour of the host amphipod. Gammarus lacustris are preyed upon by ducks (amongst other predators). Needless to say they generally try to avoid being eaten and tend to avoid light and stay away from the surface (where ducks are). However, Polymorphus eventually causes its host to becomes attracted by light and swim towards the surface to increase the likelihood of being eaten by a duck. The bird then becomes infected by the parasite...

Below Iíve uploaded a tightly cropped version of the red-spot photo. Now Iím wondering what the little clump is that is growing on the back of the amphipod (in the upper right corner of the photo)?

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress .com

amphipod red spot very tight crop_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr
EWTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

I noticed that too, maybe it's something smaller living of of him/her/it, I noticed an Oly camera at your Flickr page, what camera did you use for these, btw nice macro rig.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.