questions on 10 gallon setup
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-02-2006, 02:07 AM   #1
teban
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

questions on 10 gallon setup

Hi Guys,

I am currently residing in the Phil. and would want to ask aabout how to successfully go about my planned 10 gallon nano tank.

here are some questions bothering me.
1.) what filter to use in the nano tank?
2.) how can i reduce or lower down the temp within the tank?
3.) i am planning to have some java moss, java ferns (orindary and windelov variety) how much light am i supposed to have?
4.) every when so often do i have to make WC?
teban is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2006, 02:52 AM   #2
hoffboy
Planted Tank Obsessed

You should definitely poke around here more and be sure to check out Rex's guide to setting up a new tank. To your questions: small hang on back (I like Aquaclear) should be fine. Don't know much about cooling, but in your climate I guess that could become an issue. I'd go for warm water fish (Betta splendens, for example). Low light is fine for the plants you named, so less than 2 watts per gallon, or even lower will work. WC is somewhat dependent on number of fish, but even if you only have a couple of Betta I'd do 25% each week to prevent buildup of nutrients that can lead to algae outbreaks.

Good luck! (And think about starting with a bigger tank, like a 20 long, since they're less quick to fluctuate water chemistry and temperature, and so make for better 'first' tanks.)
hoffboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
10galHatchets
Algae Grower

Good review of hang-on power filters is here:
http://www.cloudytanks.com/filters.htm , as well as useful accessories, or more general, including simple corner filter, here http://faq.thekrib.com/ .

If you have time, check local availability of the filters, compare prices and check reviews for your best choices on the web, quite eye-opening.
I had to buy two filters - and will improve to the third and better one, because I didn't do this in time.

My first filter, DynaFlo10, was too powerful, like hurricane. This can be improved by rubber-banding polywool to flow exit. Positive side - there is place for custom media (see reviews above), negative - active carbon is always present, what can affect aquarium medication in the first week.
The second, Whisper 5-15 (if I remember right), has reasonable flow, but has less space for the custom media, and biobags are quite porous, in case if you will need to remove the treated algae.
Will buy next the AquaClear - more space for a custom media.
All power filters have problem with restarting after power interruption, if water level is below the working element.
Also, the first two filters will overflow (if clogged, for example) inside aquarium, the AquaClear - outside.
All described filters are working very effectively with their original cartridges/bags with activated carbon, all are very quiet.
Some recommend to buy next size of the filters - check aquarium filters reviews at epinions.com.

Can't help with cooling - my tank will go in the basement for the summer. But you can use heat-tolerant fish and plants. Cooling (water- or freon-based) can be very expensive, or may be air conditioning the whole room.

What is WC?
10galHatchets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Evaporation is nature's method of cooling. A small cooling fan blowing across the water on an open topped tank should increase this somewhat.

I have been toying with the idea of a "nano" external sump (made out of a 5 gallon bucket). I am not sure if you have any real daily temp swings that extra water volume could help even out - but something to auto fill your tank (to compensate for evaporation) could be a +.
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote