Any JBJ Pictope 3 Gallons out there? Show us your pics! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #16
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

If you can find thick acrylic it won't warp, but I just cut a thin piece I got at Home Depot cheap, cut nice with q cheap coping saw (see my sig for more info). When it warps one way I flip it over

Also saw some people on a reef forum that special ordered hinged glass lids from some where, but I think they cost as much as the tank!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #17
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

forget acrylic. I used a glass one for that reef i posted before. it didn't cost much to cut out at a glass/mirror shop. just give them the dimension you want. glass is far superior. can handle heat and condensation.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #18
manzpants92
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

the reef just tops all
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #19
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

I have one of these empty at the moment. I should set it up... Then I'll get in on the action

the addiction continues...
Jumping Into the Deep End: DBP 3 Gallon Long
A.D.D.i.c.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #20
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.D.i.c.t. View Post
I have one of these empty at the moment. I should set it up... Then I'll get in on the action

the addiction continues...
Do a reef too.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #21
hhk12
Algae Grower

those all look awsome
40 planted

hhk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #22
hhk12
Algae Grower

*awesome
40 planted

hhk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #23
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

Setting mine up this weekend already have ocean water and live sand for it. Maybe I'll get a 2nd one later and do a planted tank too.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #24
Wicket_lfe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady33 View Post
If you can find thick acrylic it won't warp, but I just cut a thin piece I got at Home Depot cheap, cut nice with q cheap coping saw (see my sig for more info). When it warps one way I flip it over

Also saw some people on a reef forum that special ordered hinged glass lids from some where, but I think they cost as much as the tank!

cool, if i think of something innovative, ill let you know.
Wicket_lfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:43 AM   #25
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

do a reef and right next to it a planted tank haha. it would look great and contrast well.
nanoreef forums are an amazing source of information on building pico reefs, you should check it out Neatfish if you're not part of that community already
Old 01-20-2013, 04:58 AM   #26
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

Hey thanks I'm already on there because I wanted info on how to setup my nano reef. Just started it today later on I'll get some soft easy corals. Water is starting to clear up now.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #27
ophiophagus
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

I love this. I've been tossing around the idea of starting a nano reef like this. What equipment are you using? light,filter,ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post
Well it's not a planted tank but it is a JBJ picotope lol:
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 PM   #28
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophiophagus View Post
I love this. I've been tossing around the idea of starting a nano reef like this. What equipment are you using? light,filter,ect.

He said he was using the Aquaclear 70 he probably turned it into a fuge like a bunch of people do with a nano reef and he said a hydro koralia nano pump I'm not sure about the light but it might be a par38 reef light.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #29
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Yep, it was a modded Aquaclear 70 HOB (into a fuge) with a fuge light set on reverse photoperiod for growing chaeto macroalgae. i also hid my heater, my thermometer, and my chemical filtration back in that HOB filter to keep them away from the display. That Koralia nano powerhead was in the display (you couldn't see it much because it was overgrown with green star polyps (on purpose). that pump was 240gph.

The light was a 6 LED DIY fixture that I made myself from Cree LEDs. 3 cool whites and 3 royal blues. each color was run with separate drivers and power plugs so that i could turn one color off and view the tank in one color at a time. very useful if you want to see what corals look like just under actinic lighting. the royal blue LEDs are second to none in terms of blue actinics and they make the corals fluorescence extremely well. I mean really NEON coloration. Crazy.

There was also an Auto top off system in there that i built, and the float sensor was in the left top corner of the tank (you can see it behind that birdsnest coral.) Auto top off really makes maintenance much easier. It adds freshwater as water evaporates and keeps the salinity constant instead of you having to do it yourself every day or every few days. You only have to refill the reservoir once a week or two weeks with fresh distilled or RO water.

The heater was a 50W i believe, or maybe 25W. whatever size fit into that HOB filter.

That setup is fairly high tech. it had eight different power cords running into the wall. When I do a small reef tank again, I will try to keep the power cords down to 3-4 total. you don't need to have such a high tech tank to have a nice reef in your house. Research is key
Old 01-21-2013, 02:32 AM   #30
ses601
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophiophagus View Post
man i like that little reef, is it weird that sometimes the lack of many different colors looks good to me