Fish & Plants in GTA - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Canada

Old 11-27-2005, 10:07 PM   #61
D.gilly
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

just for the record the big al's on lawerence (aquarium outlet store ) just got a new shipment of plants some pretty good ones too they have some dwarf hairgrass and giant hairgrass. some red tiger lilly and a lot af amazon sword just the heads up for any one who wants any of them.
D.gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2006, 03:51 PM   #62
10galHatchets
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Toronto, Victoria Park area shop

Toronto, Danforth at Victoria Park:
there is Mayer's pet shop in the corner across the road from main mall. Usual mall-sized family shop with good selection of original fish, not much of plants, but they have moss balls and banana plants. New arrivals on Wednesdays. Also they have snakes, and palm-size spiders, tarantula-like (in separate room).
Ghost shrimp, frogs, crabs, spotted puffers, spiky sea-devil looking fish, hatchets marble and seems like black-winged, glass catfish, cychlids - sorry can't recognize which is which. On the other side, they sell painted glassfish and aluminum plant.
Nice choice of food, including frozen, no live small food for the fish; water treatments, fertilizers (no tablets for rooted plants, Seachem Fluorish is marked as water conditioner on the bottle), medications.

As always, it is better to know what you going to buy, not just expect the staff to advice the best choice, and watch the health the fish - as in any other store.
At my knowledge, it's the only shop in this area that sells fish, not just supplies. Nice touch - they add heat pack in the bag at winter, so fish have better chances to arrive home safely.
Website http://www.mayerspet.com , the physicall store looks much better stocked.
10galHatchets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #63
10galHatchets
Algae Grower

For the last three weeks I checked local aquarium stores that carry fish, my impressions:

Big Al's at Scarborough:
- widest choice, good prices. Exclusively young male staff other than cashier, hobby-specific? Cheap 10-30 gal glass tanks, including tall and not deep, glass covers; fluorite substrate and 2-3 mm small rounded gravel, fertilizer tablets and "Watch them grow" plant collars, Quick dip strips tests - all-in-one (Junglelabs), ammonia monitor Seachem, very long forceps and handler/cutter for underwater gardening, air flow regulators for all air pumps that come without built-in regulator, filters seems to be more oriented on bigger tanks. Plants are very healthy, some low grow for the small aquariums, including hairgrass. $5 crayfish, less than finger size.

PJ's at Yorkdale mall:
- just like an atmosphere there - easy to choose and buy. Less in depth chemicals supplies and small aquariums choice, but fast and easy for general needs. They have enough plants, but choice could be bigger. Best marine aquarium display, IMHO.

PJ's at Scarborough Centre:
- less choice, some fish was sick.

PJ's at Eglinton and Young mall:
- very small, some fish was dead, more basic supplies store.

Petsmart at Eglinton East:
Next after big PJ's stores. Best aquarium decorations, easy to choose and buy, beginners' hardy plants are here, fertilizer tablets also.

Menagerie at Parliament:
Small but well stocked. Big Al's and this store are the best and complementary, what one doesn't have - the other has. Store seems to be run by a students' group - no family shop atmosphere as was mentioned before, more university spirit. Widest choice of plants, including small; nice touch - plants for sale in the fish tanks are marked as such with prices shown. Display tanks show what can be done in small tanks with their supplies. They have marine fish also. Three kinds of shrimps, fish choice is very specific and out of my interests, all very healthy. I like their choice of filters - AquaClear and smallest immersibles for the smallest tanks. And the rarity - they have plastic legs for the lights, pricey. No Quick dip tests or ammonia monitors or glass covers (at least I didn't find them). Good choice of chemicals.

Mayer's at Victoria Park/ Danforth:
Size of Menagerie, family run shop, good people - nice local store. No widest choise of in depth chemicals, filters or plants (which are Big Al's and Menagerie only), but all solid medium level of supplies is present, seems to be Tetra-oriented. They also have very small gravel, but sharp one. Fish choice is in my area of interest, they have very specific ones that I hadn't seen in another stores. Not enough plants, especially small, may be it's just a winter time.

Wong's Aquarium at Broadview:
Steamy atmosphere. Not a polished Yorkdale look, but interesting fish to see. Very large fish, a lot of fish, specific fish (not for the smallest aquariums), plants. Pond and cychlids people might find it useful.

Wal-Mart:
I like their aquarium heaters - you can see temperature that you are setting. Have two of them, no problems yet.

No alive small food was found.

Also, I find it to be very useful the online stores, recommended on this forum - mops and canadianfeeders. Best prices, choice with descriptions, and food that is not available anywhere else. Didn't ordered yet, but will.
10galHatchets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:13 PM   #64
Stan the Man
Planted Member

Thanks for the store summaries. I've visited many of those stores myself and would have to agree with your summaries. Menagerie and Big Al's Scarborough are my main stores, as they are very complimentary in terms of their supplies.

I often order online from Bigalsonline.ca or MOPS. The nice thing about Bigalsonline is that they have free shipping over $35, and they will price match! (For example, if you find a cheaper price on JLAquatics or MOPS, they'll match it).
Stan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote