Algae or Deficiency?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Fluffles
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Algae or Deficiency?

Hi,

Currently having some trouble with my Anubias. They seem to have several dark spots on the leaves and on the edges of the leaves. No spots present in newer leaves. I'm thinking this is algae since the anubias are all exposed directly to light. I'm currently running a low light tank with LEDs and the LEDs are set to about 40% output (aiming for about 30-35 PAR). Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/WB1L5

About my tank:

36L (9.5G)
Eheim 2213 filter
Eco-complete substrate
Recommended dose of excel every other day
Recommended dose of comprehensive once a week
PH: 8.1
VERY hard tap water (RO is not an option right now)
Tank has been running for about 4 months now
8 hour photoperiod

I've always had trouble with diatoms but have managed to keep it under control with Ottos and Amano shrimp. The spots on the anubias appeared recently after I left for a trip and the shrimp nor the ottos seem to touch it at all.

I can easily adjust light level and photoperiod, but at this point I have no idea whether I should increase or decrease light if necessary.

Can someone help me ID what this could be?
Fluffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #2
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your link doesn't seem to be working.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)

link works fine for me. The anubias has a bunch of dark brown/black speckles all over it; leaf tips are breaking down
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
urbguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's working now! Are u dosing any excel or adding any co2? I think it might be that and also u mentioned raising the light, might not hurt but I'd be concerned for algae blooms.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

doesn't look like algae to me. it looks like a nutrient deficiency.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:19 AM   #6
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

It looks like potassium deficiency to me. You have yellowing at the tips & brown holes look like they are forming. Without seeing the link I was going to say green spot algae which would be a lack of carbon for the driving forcr of the lights. But seeing the link my gut feeling is potassium deficiency. I feel good about making that call.
I forgot to look back to see what your ferts were. Try separate dry K from planted fertilizer.com. They have KSO4 which is potassium sulfate. Read the mixing instructions. You could bump up the iron a little would not hurt.
Hardstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #7
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

Another thing, your photo period seems short. I would add & hour or 2. 8 hours is nothing. The flourish does not have a lot of K in it as well. Your tank is like mine . I have a 10 myself. I dose at least 3-5 drops per day of straight (KSO4).I also dose 5 or more drops of iron every day. But my lighting may be more than yours. I run 2 ( 15 watt) T8 s . My lights run 11 hours a day & my Anubias looks good.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
JoraaĐ
TÝrŰd ─▀ˇűt ╦σ R╔├ÝrŰ

PTrader: (343/100%)

Quote:
Another thing, your photo period seems short. I would add & hour or 2. 8 hours is nothing.
Really? You need 10 hours of photo period to grow weeds?

Lower light from 8 to 6 hours for a week or 2. Actually Plant dont need that much light, its a myth. All my tanks get only 7 hours of light. Start dosing Excel daily and do water change as 2-3X/week. I see BBA in some leaves..
JoraaĐ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
Fluffles
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the feedback.
I should probably mention that this is a non-CO2 tank.

It seems like the issue is indeed algae. With some heavy brushing, the black spots can be removed from the leaves.

I will start dosing excel daily and try to do spot treatment with excel on the affected areas.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #10
Fat Guy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joraan View Post
I see BBA in some leaves..
where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffles View Post
It seems like the issue is indeed algae.

I will start dosing excel daily and try to do spot treatment with excel on the affected areas.
I don't think it's just algae. I think you have nutrient issues too. if those don't get addressed, than you will be inviting more algae down the road. dosing excel as well as spot treating sounds like overdosing glutaraldehyde.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Fluffles
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
I don't think it's just algae. I think you have nutrient issues too. if those don't get addressed, than you will be inviting more algae down the road.
Fair enough. I have all the necessary dry ferts to dose, but I was never sure what sort of dosing regime to start off with.
I did find this guide: http://www.sudeepmandal.com/hobbies/...-planted-tank/ based on one of Tom Barr's posts, "Non CO2 methods", but so far I haven't tried dosing at all for fear of killing my livestock or messing up the entire aquarium. Anyone have any recommendations beyond this link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Guy View Post
dosing excel as well as spot treating sounds like overdosing glutaraldehyde.
Sorry, I meant I will dose excel daily and use that same daily dosage to do spot treatment.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
Africancichlids637
Algae Grower

I have moderate to high lighting plants I only keep my light on for 5 hours. 8 hours for low light plants is overkill.
Africancichlids637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #13
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

O.K. so you do not run your lights for more than 6 hours because they are weeds. False, they are plants. If you are afraid to leave lights on for more than 8 hours at a time than you yourself can & will grow algae because you are lacking something as well.
If plants have all nec. nutrients as well as carbon than more than 8 hours will not be a problem. I never thought of the plants as weeds. If you enjoy cutting back so much on lights because of fear of algae than maybe you should address your issues with imbalances.
I could run my tank 14 hours photo period a day if I wanted to. Why, because zero nutrient issues are present in my tank because I dose dry ferts & run pressurized carbon. I am not afraid of growing algae, algae will not compete.
If you do not run pressurized carbon than bumping up the excel should help as well as dosing dry ferts to customize your tanks needs.
You should not be afraid to run your tank for more than 8 hours. In nature they run on 12-14 hours a day. If you cannot than you have imbalances. improper lighting spectrum, should be 6500-6700k only, proper carbon, NKPo4, tracse, Fe , Mg , Ca to name a few need to be addressed. Nitrogen cannot crash, same as phosphates . N needs to be above 10ppms & PO4 needs to be above .5ppm at least.