Advice for 20 gal long shrimp tank - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #16
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

right, I'm going to go pick up some things tonight. i need a split valve since i just looked at my old one and its broken lol. I have a whisper10 air pump. do you think that's enough to split between two sponge filters? what pumps do you guys use?

Old 01-14-2013, 04:54 AM   #17
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

last question about the sponge filters: these things are weighted right? they're not going to float up and be annoying? looks like the bottom disc should be the weight...
Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 AM   #18
Merth
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
last question about the sponge filters: These things are weighted right? They're not going to float up and be annoying? Looks like the bottom disc should be the weight...
+1 ^
Merth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #19
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

sweet, thanks for confirming
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #20
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Can some one explain the concept to me on why they run sponge filters in shrimp tanks.
Sponge filters will drive up the ph & cause out gas of CO2! What am I missing. Internal canister filters filter better & you can control surface agitation if needed. I could see HOB filters if the flow stays lower enough but even HOB filters are not as good as canisters say with a pre filter or screen on them to prevent babies from being sucked into them.
Out gassing CO2 & poor flow rates do not seem productive.
Hardstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #21
bostoneric
Happy Happy Happy

PTrader: (31/100%)

because they are amazing feeding places for shrimp!
bostoneric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #22
Hardstuff
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

If the canisters have pre filters on them would that not be amazing feeding places, not to mention the rest of the entire tank, substrate , plants, moss, wood, feeding dishes , just to name a few. To out gas CO2 & jack up ph values does not make sense.
Canister filters outperform sponge by like 10 to 1 in flow & filtration, & the shrimp can still graze on the pre filter.
I guess in tiny 2 -5 gallon tanks you would not have much choice, but larger tanks over 5 gal. would benefit from canisters. With NO excel usage!
I guess the cheap way would be with sponges.
Hardstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #23
skystrife
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardstuff View Post
To out gas CO2 & jack up ph values does not make sense.
Having a higher amount of dissolved oxygen does not increase or decrease pH---there aren't any more hydroxide or hydronium ions than there would be ordinarily.

What it impacts, however, is dissolved oxygen content and, by extension, shrimp health. Generally speaking, shrimp are the first to display respiratory distress when increasing the amount of dissolved CO2 in the water column.

Many times, the benefit of higher oxygenation outweighs the ability to pump in more CO2 (and thus grow more demanding plants). A lot of shrimp keepers only keep plants that will thrive in low-tech environments (and many just use mosses exclusively) for this reason.

It's sort of a trade-off: do you want to focus more on your shrimp colony, or more on your plants? It's a bit of a balancing act if you attempt to do both---I don't recall people breeding very high grade shrimp while simultaneously injecting CO2 (but I could be wrong).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardstuff View Post
I guess the cheap way would be with sponges.
You hit it on the head right there: the cost-to-effectiveness ratio is very, very high for sponge filters---adding a simple $4-5 sponge to a tank has a very positive impact for shrimps with a very low investment. You'll almost always see at least one sponge running on a shrimper's tank for this reason alone.
skystrife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

yes I don't care much for off-gassing the CO2 here. the plants should be fine. i'm not injecting the CO2 or anything like that. I guess the plants can get their carbon from the substrate and shrimp waste (respiratory and otherwise). I'm not going to be running the filters at max bubble flow, so it shouldn't make too much of a difference anyway. but it will improve shrimp health i bet.

I still havent found any good sponge filters. no bigger chain LFS sells them. i have a lead on some from my small LFS, and hopefully they will have them tomorrow like they said they would.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #25
82nd_Airborne
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Just a thought on something besides the addition of a sponge filter, the no water changes is probably decreasing your breeding as well. Generally, most of my shrimp molt after a water change, meaning the females will be available to breed, this should at least in theory increase the breeding rate of your colony. I do 10% once a week on my 3 and 5 gallon, and 20% every two weeks on my 20L. Just my $0.02
82nd_Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #26
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (131/100%)

Plus, you can have the tube above the water. As long as water comes out the top, it is still doing its job.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #27
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks for the info Soothing.

Yes i thought about the water changes being a problem for breeding too. my shrimp do molt normally as far as I can see. I just didnt want to stress any of them as i hear they are most prone to drop eggs if there are water changes going on.
I'll just get the sponge filters and let them take their course.
It's not like my nitrates are out of control or there's too much waste in the system. (yet) haha.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #28
Lkittredge
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman View Post

I still havent found any good sponge filters. no bigger chain LFS sells them. i have a lead on some from my small LFS, and hopefully they will have them tomorrow like they said they would.
check out eBay
Lkittredge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #29
Newman
Planted Tank Guru

I'll have to if they say they won't have them for a while. I was promised tomorrow so hopefully they'll have them in stock.
I wanted to get some ASAP, and shipping would take a week. but if the LFS has none then i have no other choice than ordering online. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.