DIY Aquarium Touchscreen Controller - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 AM   #91
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

update the library

http://www.henningkarlsen.com/electr...rary.php?id=51
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 04:25 AM   #92
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
From what I can tell, megamax42 downloaded the UTFT library. I am not sure if he is using them, however.

megamax42, you can convert Jarduino v. 1.1 to use UTFT and the new UTouch libraries.

For Jarduino v 1.1 to work properly, you have to use the libraries that it uses, which only work under the older version of the Arduino IDE (not v 1.0 and up).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #93
bigd603
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I dont know anything about Arduino, but this thread has really sparked my interest. Do I need to get the Arduino Mega to do this, or can I get the Uno? Did you guys have any experience in programming language? I definitely do not, but I am willing to learn.
bigd603 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #94
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd603 View Post
I dont know anything about Arduino, but this thread has really sparked my interest. Do I need to get the Arduino Mega to do this, or can I get the Uno? Did you guys have any experience in programming language? I definitely do not, but I am willing to learn.
To use the example code that the Jarduino uses, you will need a Mega. I do not believe there are enough I/O pins on the Uno for the 3.2" TFT LCD Touchscreen.

As for me, I did not have any experience in coding at all. I started learning C++ last November, and can work my way around the sketches now with fair confidence.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #95
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

Quote:
The arduino language is a mod of C. I'm pretty good, just ask. There's also a beginner's guide on my forum you might want to check out.

I just had an idea, why do through a touch screen when you have an iPad? You just need an wi-fi/ Ethernet Shield and an app. There are instructions on how to do this out there. It would be fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 01-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #96
Darkblade48

Quote:
I just had an idea, why do through a touch screen when you have an iPad? You just need an wi-fi/ Ethernet Shield and an app. There are instructions on how to do this out there. It would be fun.
Definitely - using a GUI interface for Android/iPhone would be much easier; front end design using C is a hassle...

Then again, I don't know Java either, so learning another language at this point would be too much for me

Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #97
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

i'll have months to go between the basement being done and the tank being ready to be set up... i really want to start picking up parts to jump in on this goodness!

can anyone recommend sites to read?

anyone having a shopping list w/ links for parts that'll accomplish all these tasks?
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #98
Darkblade48

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
i'll have months to go between the basement being done and the tank being ready to be set up... i really want to start picking up parts to jump in on this goodness!

can anyone recommend sites to read?

anyone having a shopping list w/ links for parts that'll accomplish all these tasks?
This thread is a good start; there are some others on these forums.

If you Google Jarduino, you will also find some more information regarding that project. Older versions of the source code are open source, so you can build from there. There also is a list of some of the items that were used for that particular project, so you can see what was used, and then expand from there.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #99
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

I was wondering, are the sensors and devices hooked up through i2c or through available digital and analog pins on this jarduino thing?

I would assume you need to define the devices somehow so then arduino can recognize them. Is it all through code? If so, that's a bit cumbersome every time you want to add a new device. We can do better for sure.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:51 AM   #100
Darkblade48

Quote:
I was wondering, are the sensors and devices hooked up through i2c or through available digital and analog pins on this jarduino thing?

I would assume you need to define the devices somehow so then arduino can recognize them. Is it all through code? If so, that's a bit cumbersome every time you want to add a new device. We can do better for sure.

I think the only device that is connected over I2C is the RTC. Everything else is controlled by digital pins.

And defining the devices is pretty much done via coding (and is very cumbersome, as you mentioned). I think the Jarduino coding makes it a little easier by separating the code into little "units" .... but it is still a hassle to work through.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #101
bigd603
Planted Member

Can the Arduino store data over time? For example, can it give data on the pH, temp, etc for the past 30, 40, 60 days? Maybe presented in a graph, or at least a table?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:04 PM   #102
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Can the Arduino store data over time? For example, can it give data on the pH, temp, etc for the past 30, 40, 60 days? Maybe presented in a graph, or at least a table?
I'd assume you'd be able to write data to the sd card and store them in files. my idea with this stuff would, since i'm a web guy, interface with a website and store the data in a database.

not having any experience with arduino itself, i can only assume that with a wifi connection one would be able to make requests to a website for that data for reading/writing purposes.

I'd fully intend on making mine a web app.
scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #103
Darkblade48

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
I'd assume you'd be able to write data to the sd card and store them in files. my idea with this stuff would, since i'm a web guy, interface with a website and store the data in a database.

not having any experience with arduino itself, i can only assume that with a wifi connection one would be able to make requests to a website for that data for reading/writing purposes.
The Arduino itself cannot store a large amount of data over time. You can have it store required data on an SD card so it can do data logging.

For interfacing with a website, the same idea can be done, but it would have to access the site every x seconds/minutes that you are measuring the data (i.e. you might want to measure temperature or pH more than once an hour...I have mine set for every 5 minutes).

Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #104
bigd603
Planted Member

Hmm...I'm just gonna have to dive headfirst into all this stuff to really figure it out. Do you guys know where I can find the ITDB02 Arduing Mega Shield V1.1 fully assembled, or did you guys buy the kit and put it together from iMall? (http://imall.iteadstudio.com/prototy...120717001.html). Or would something like ebay item number 271025770499 work? Man it would be way easier if we could just link to ebay auctions...
Old 01-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #105
Darkblade48

Quote:
Hmm...I'm just gonna have to dive headfirst into all this stuff to really figure it out. Do you guys know where I can find the ITDB02 Arduing Mega Shield V1.1 fully assembled, or did you guys buy the kit and put it together from iMall? (http://imall.iteadstudio.com/prototy...120717001.html). Or would something like ebay item number 271025770499 work? Man it would be way easier if we could just link to ebay auctions...
I'm not sure if the ITDB02 Arduino Mega Shield v1.1 is still sold fully assembled. For sure, it is still sold as components only, and you just have to do the soldering. It is a useful skill to pick up anyway.

The eBay item that you linked will work, but it does not have the RTC that the ITDB02 Mega Shield v1.1 has.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.