My Set Up
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

My Set Up

Am planning for my next attempt at planting my tank. My previous attempts resulted in plants that died over 2-3 months and record amounts of algae growth. I have completed a great deal of research since my previous attempts. I have had my fish only tank running for about 10 years, a 50G 20" tall glass tank. Have a HOB filter, water params good, light fish load, a dual element 48" T5HO fixture with 6700K bulbs.

I have just completed changing the substrate to aquariumplants.com substrate. Following that change I had an ammonia spike but three consecutive daily 40% water changes seems to have me back where I started and now I have 0/0/10 for parameters.

I have a pressurized CO2 system which is currently disconnected. I have dry ferts and mixing containers to provide macro and trace food per the PPO method. Not current using ferts.

Plan is to buy a "hardy low light" plant assortment and maybe a few extra fast grow low light plants from aquariumplants.com Now my plan:

1. I will use one of the two T5HO bulbs in my fixture which puts me in the low to mid range Pur/Par charts and close to 1 watt/gallon.
2. I will not use CO2.
3. I will not use ferts for the first 1-2 months.
4. I will follow all of the plant handling and planting instruction I have been able to find.

Currently, I have what I suspect is normal algae, meaning once or twice a month I need to scrape my glass and clean the substrate. Adding plants only to the tank should not increase algae growth, right? And, with reasonable substrate as above, reasonable light as above, most say not to fert for the first month or two, and easy grow low light plants I should be able to grow plants, right?

thanks for any comments,
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
ElPincheBecerra
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had a ton of algae, backed off the ferts and I was good. I have swords, java ferns and anubias, your standard low light fare. I only use a little iron once a week (one cap full of the seachem iron). Sounds about what you were looking to set up?

Hope this helps a little
ElPincheBecerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.