Macros and Micros
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
gt turbo
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Macros and Micros

Ok, I'll looking to purchase dry ferts.

One of the companies stated in the "Dosing Regime" sticky, has an all-in-one mix that is very appealing to me, a beginner, but I'm wondering if this is ok. I think i read somewhere that there can be a reaction between the chemicals that causes issues specifically with the iron. Some kind of adverse reaction.
gt turbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Ductapemaster
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

As far as I know the only thing you need to stay away from is dosing macros and micros on the same day. You can mix all the macros together and dose at the same time without a problem, but when they are does with the micros the Iron tends to precipitate out.
Ductapemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

Avoid mixing Macro and Micro on the same day. Or dose supplemental Fe.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
UDGags
aka Nick

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to UDGags Send a message via Yahoo to UDGags

Iron and phosphate can't be mixed. Link
Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
puopg
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Dont go for all in one. Less control over what you need to dose. Honestly, its not that hard to dose. Just take ur measuring spoon, and plop it in. In the long run, its cheaper, more flexible, and lasts longer. I had your mindset a while back, but I am glad i went with dry ferts separate. When you get to understanding light, co2, and ferts, the ability to completely rule out ferts from the equation makes your life a lot easier.

Also, some plants might be nitrate hogs. So what happens if some of your plants arent gettign enough nitrate? Do you add more of this all in one? Then u got a ton of everything else which if the plants aren't using as quickly, is just being wasted. FLEXIBILITY of individual ferts.
puopg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #6
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I agree about getting individual ferts because it's definitely more flexible.

I've got 4 tanks now. One doesn't need any KNO3 at all. 2 of them need about 1/2 EI dose and the other one needs full IE dose. And that's just KNO3. The other ferts are also customized based on each tank requirements. Some get more GH booster than others, etc.

If I had only one tank. I still wouldn't go with all in one just in case the tank requirements changed or I got another tank, etc. just never know what might happen in a 1 month or 2. Dry ferts will last a while.

It's really not hard to dry dose ferts. I was using a 7 day pill container to put the measured ferts in. You can put macros in one day, then the next day has micros and the one "rest" day just leave empty. Dump 1 days worth into the tank each day & done. Fill up once a week and your good to go. Easier to keep track of what needs to be dosed on which day. Or you can just dose with measuring spoon each day whichever works best for you.

Forum member " nilogc " sells the dry ferts either each individually (pound, 1/2 lb, etc) or has a nice package with the individual ferts at a great price. Search the For Sale/Trade thread for his username.
sowNreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #7
gt turbo
Planted Member

Wish I had seen these before i bought a MacroMicro mix. So i guess I'll use what I've bought and then I'll try the non-premixed type.

I guess I'll supplement with API's Leafzone which is basically potash and iron.

The problem is simply that, I can't get dry ferts locally, so what I've bought will have to do.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt turbo View Post
Wish I had seen these before i bought a MacroMicro mix. So i guess I'll use what I've bought and then I'll try the non-premixed type.

I guess I'll supplement with API's Leafzone which is basically potash and iron.

The problem is simply that, I can't get dry ferts locally, so what I've bought will have to do.
Yeah .. sorry I didn't notice your location. I have a tendency to forget to look at that even through I know the forum has members from all over the world.

Not sure nilogc ships outside of US. You can check some of the other places forum members recommend such as http://greenleafaquariums.com/ or http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/ to see if or how much to ship to your location. Aquariumfertilzer states right on their home page they ship around the world, so they might be an option for you. You'll can check into that more.

Or the mix you have might just be the best for your situation.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
gt turbo
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowNreap View Post
Yeah .. sorry I didn't notice your location. I have a tendency to forget to look at that even through I know the forum has members from all over the world.

Not sure nilogc ships outside of US. You can check some of the other places forum members recommend such as http://greenleafaquariums.com/ or http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/ to see if or how much to ship to your location. Aquariumfertilzer states right on their home page they ship around the world, so they might be an option for you. You'll can check into that more.

Or the mix you have might just be the best for your situation.
I used one of the online sellers you have listed. So I'm gonna just see how it goes. So far without the dry ferts the tank seems to be doing well so I'm happy regardless. Will update when the ferts come.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
smiller
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowNreap View Post
I've got 4 tanks now. One doesn't need any KNO3 at all. 2 of them need about 1/2 EI dose and the other one needs full IE dose. And that's just KNO3. The other ferts are also customized based on each tank requirements. Some get more GH booster than others, etc.
I guess you slowly cut back on your dosing to observe when you noticed a change in plant health? If so was that based mostly on growth?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I guess you slowly cut back on your dosing to observe when you noticed a change in plant health? If so was that based mostly on growth?
For KNO3 it's based on testing of Nitrate level over a time. For example, the one tank that I don't dose any KNO3, the fish/fish food, etc produce enough nitrates that I HAVE to do a water change every week so it doesn't need KNO3 added. The one tank I dose full EI dose doesn't have any fish ... just snails & plants with a bit higher light than my other tanks. So that tank needs a fair amount of KNO3 added, otherwise the plants use it all up. I only change the water every other month or so now. It's maintaining about 10ppm nitrates which implies it's not building up too much and the plants are using we they need. After thinking about it, it's probably not full EI dose anymore. I may have started full dose & adjusted down because the nitrates were building up to much. And also extended the water change schedule.

The other ferts have been trial/error based on Phosphate tests, observation of plants, tank (if any algae), light & water change schedule. For example one tank I only do water changes every 2 weeks, it's a heated tank and it's low end of medium light so I may have started with 75% EI dose 3x week. Then adjusted down to 50% or maybe even 40% IE dose. I use this fert calculator: http://calc.petalphile.com/ to compare regular EI vs EI low light weekly dose, target levels and then make guesstimated % adjustments based on my water change schedule, fish load, tests, etc. By not doing weekly water changes I've complicated my fert dosing but over time as I get it dialed in it will save in the long run ... not only time but water. I do try to conserve water the best I can as I don't believe it's really an unlimited supply.

I did a lot of testing at the beginning trying to get the dose right but now mostly just observe the tank/plants. So far it appears to be working as I don't have algae problems (except my 75gal cold water tank that I just can't seem to totally get rid of the brown diatoms .. been setup almost 1 yr) and plants are doing as expected. I say as expected because 2 of my tanks are cold water tanks that run about 58-60 degrees in winter so I don't expect a lot of growth for plants in those tanks. Also, I'm not trying for fastest growth possible. My objective is a tank with no algae with slow to moderate plant growth and healthy looking plants.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #12
gt turbo
Planted Member

So my ferts won't be here anytime soon. My transportation (MOM) decided that it would be best if she shipped them via a barrel she was packing, which means at best I'm looking at a 2 month wait.

That being the case I think i'm gonna have to buy some more and have them shipped directly here, which is in no way cost effective, the shipping costs more than the products.

aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg - So frustrated right now!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #13
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt turbo View Post
So my ferts won't be here anytime soon. My transportation (MOM) decided that it would be best if she shipped them via a barrel she was packing, which means at best I'm looking at a 2 month wait.

That being the case I think i'm gonna have to buy some more and have them shipped directly here, which is in no way cost effective, the shipping costs more than the products.

aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggg - So frustrated right now!
If you haven't ordered again yet, check out these threads for possible alternates that may be available locally, such as stump remover, fleet enema, epsom salts, salt peter, etc. HEED THE WARNINGS ABOUT STUMP REMOVERS
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=stump+remover
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=stump+remover

These alternatives might be less expensive than shipping dry ferts from the States. The stump remover might still be the hard one to get though.

EDIT: Here's another link: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...4&postcount=36