Emersed plant tips
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Rasmus

PTrader: (0/0%)

Emersed plant tips

I'm looking for a plant that will do well growing emersed in acidic, soft, and nutrient poor water. Basically a bog setting. The plant should be growing from a depth of about 5-7 cm and then out of the water. Any tips?
Rasmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

When you say nutrient poor and bog, first thing that comes to mind are carnivorous plants (pitcher, nepenthes, flytraps, sundews)
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
greenman857
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

I grow all kinds of things emersed with little or no nutrient input, I'm pretty sure my water is on the acidic side. If you look at my Wabi-k posts you'll see some of the stuff, I'm growing. If you are specifically adjust the water to be acidic etc then yes probably carnivorous plants would be the way to go. I'm having fun with Utricularia, U graminifolia is the most commonly grown species here on this site, I'm growing 2 other species as well, but have good luck with all kinds of other stuff.
If you want more specifics or have more information on your tank I'd be happy to give you more....
The Floating Island

greenman857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #4
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Emersed Plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
I'm looking for a plant that will do well growing emersed in acidic, soft, and nutrient poor water. Basically a bog setting. The plant should be growing from a depth of about 5-7 cm and then out of the water. Any tips?
Hello Ras...

Acidic water is ideal for plants. That's why getting a lot plants into a cycling tank is helpful to control the forms of nitrogen that dissolve in the tank water from the fish waste.

I emerse Aglaonema (Chinese Evergreen) in my tanks. The plants come in all sizes. I prefer those from 8 to 12 inches tall. Might work well in your case. I use them to maintain pure water conditions for my fish without doing the weekly water changes.

B
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Rasmus

Thanks for the suggestions! I already grow sundews and venus flytrap, but they cannot grow emersed in the manner that I'm looking for. I'm looking for something that can grow out of about 7 cm of water. The perfect look would be something reed like. I've tried with different reeds for ponds, but they don't last. I think it gets too warm for them. My experience is that most plants don't love acidic water, at least not if pH<6.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Rasmus

No other tips? I'd be grateful if someone has a similar setup and could link to some photos.

The tank looks something like this. I'm looking for a plant that will look good growing out of the water section.