Dry Fertilizers - Help Please!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 01-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
fis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dry Fertilizers - Help Please!

Maybe this will sound funny to some of you but I have some questions

I have a 44 g. (175 l.) tank, 2 wpg and no CO2 and I would like to start dosing dry ferts, but I have a problem. I can get only 4 elements K2SO4, KNO3, KH2PO4 and MgSO4 and I can get products from http://www.easylife.nl/en/freshwater...lant-nutrition and http://www.oceannutrition.eu/en/By-W...YPE=Freshwater , http://www.sera.de/uk/pages/products...izers-373.html and next month a friend of mine will get me some http://www.pfertz.com/rootferts.html from USA. That's all I can get in Macedonia . I have some easy to grow low light plants: Anubias, Echinodorus Ozelot, Egeria Densa, Vallisneria, Java Fern, Java Moss, Crypt Wendti, Bocapa Monnieri, Hygrophila corymbos and I like to make them to look better (last anubia leafs have little holes, egeria densa leafs are small and near to the steam, Hygrophila is losing older leafs easy and new once are too yellow, some fall easy).

What do you suggest? Is it OK to start with dry ferts + root tabs? Will I need something else from Easylife, Sera or Ocean nutrition? What method to use and how much to dose? Or should I stick to low tech no fert tank?

Thanks in advance!
fis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Hi fis,

You should be good with:

KNO3 - macro nutrient
KH2PO4 - macro nutrient

K2SO4 - used for extra K; also used to add hardness
MgSO4 (Epsom Salt) - used for extra Mg; also used to add hardness
CaSO4 - used for extra Ca, also used to add hardness

It would be helpful if you had micro nutrients as well.

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #3
fis
Algae Grower

Thanks @Seattle_Aquarist

So basically if I manage to get SeaChem Equilibrium all I need to dose is 1/8" and 1/32" teaspoon of KNO3 and KH2PO4 per 20 gal. once a week (Tom Barr non CO2 method) and there is no need of K2SO4 and MgSO4?

If I don't manage to get Equilibrium, will only KNO3 and KH2PO4 + root tabs have positive effect on the plants or it's better not to use them at all (may cause algae bloom?)? The tanks is running since August and I don't have any algae problems (I had only diatom algae but not anymore). I do 30% weekly water changes.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi fis,

I am not familiar with Tom Barr's non-CO2 dosing method so I cannot comment on it.

Seachem Equilibrium may be difficult to find in Macedonia. If you can't locate it you could use Tom Barr's GH Booster which consists of:

50% K2SO4
25% Gypsum (CaSO4)
25% Epsom Salts (MGSO4)

Dose as necessary to maintain about a 5.0 dGH hardness.

Hope this helps!

Old 01-13-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
fis
Algae Grower

Thanks

I can get most of the elements from a company that sells water fertilizers (please check the link and tell me if that is what I need):

http://www.maganmak.com.mk/index.php...=45&Itemid=163

I'll try to get a Seachem Equilibrium from USA too, once again will adding only KNO3 and KH2PO4 + http://www.pfertz.com/rootferts.html have positive impact on the plants or that will mean a problem (algae)?

Tom Barr non CO2 method

Quote:
I added once a week KNO3/KH2PO4. While trace mixes can be added, I decided to use SeaChem Equilibrium instead. It has Fe and Mn as well as Ca/K/Mg/SO4. I will add about 1/4 teaspoon per 20 gal tank once every week or two.
This greatly enhances the growth of the plants. I also will add about 1/8" and 1/32" teaspoon of KNO3 and KH2PO4 respectively once a week or two. Note, GH Booster can be used instead of Seachem Equilibrium
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

As mentioned by several others, you will need a trace mix in addition to what you are planning to dose. The macronutrients and the root tabs alone will not be enough.

In addition, you did not go into detail about your lighting.

You mentioned 2 WPG, but this is an outdated method of looking at lighting. What kind of lighting do you have? How many tubes? Also, how tall is your aquarium? For example, 2 WPG of T5HO would be considered high light, and a non-CO2 approach would not work at all. It is best to not even consider WPG anymore.

If you do not have a balance of light, nutrients and CO2 (or in your case, since you are not even planning to use CO2), you will get algae...

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #7
fis
Algae Grower

Thanks @Darkblade forgot to mention that, I have 4 T8 bulbs: Osram fluora (grolux) 18w, 6500 K 18w and 2X 8000 K 25w, the aquarium size is 830x435x480mm, no algae problems so far.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi fis,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fis View Post
Thanks

I can get most of the elements from a company that sells water fertilizers (please check the link and tell me if that is what I need):

http://www.maganmak.com.mk/index.php...=45&Itemid=163
Sorry, I read a couple different languages but not that one.

Quote:
I'll try to get a Seachem Equilibrium from USA too, once again will adding only KNO3 and KH2PO4 + http://www.pfertz.com/rootferts.html have positive impact on the plants or that will mean a problem (algae)?
I find algae growth is dependent on many conditions: light, nutrient levels, circulation, overall cleanliness and maintenance. I think the answer to your question is it depends upon how much of those fertilizers that you add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fis View Post
The website appears to be 'down' at the moment, I will try to read this thread later.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #9
BruceF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

If you are going to use a SeaChem product look inot Envy and Propel or some of the micro products in the Flourish line.
BruceF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
fis
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi fis,

Sorry, I read a couple different languages but not that one.

I find algae growth is dependent on many conditions: light, nutrient levels, circulation, overall cleanliness and maintenance. I think the answer to your question is it depends upon how much of those fertilizers that you add.

The website appears to be 'down' at the moment, I will try to read this thread later.
Google translate :

My aquarium is a bow front with external power head filter (1000 liters per hour), I do 30% water changes weekly.

I talked with my friend in the USA its hard for him to bring bottles (and powder) so I cant get any of the Seachem products or any dry ferts.