Light Duration
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #1
2ToesTony
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Light Duration

I have heard 10-12 hours of light a day is good for a planted aquarium.
Is it better to have 10-12 consecutive hours, or should one break them up for example 5 on 5 off etc.

Thanks
2ToesTony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Either is fine.

I personally find 12 hours too much, especially in high light aquariums. 8 is more than enough.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ToesTony View Post
Is it better to have 10-12 consecutive hours, or should one break them up for example 5 on 5 off etc.

Thanks
Why would it be better ?
As you know plants have evolved to photosynthesis while the sun shines. Depending on the species of plant that can be as long as 15 hours. Plants have the ability to handle cloudy days and days where sunlight fluctuates do to variable cloudiness. but nowhere on this planet do plants have 5 hours on followed by a break followed by 5 more hours. Always take your cues from your natural surroundings.
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
james1542
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

on a partially sunny day they could have 2 5 hours with a break- in nature. The thinking behind 5+ 5 being better than 10, is that the plants max out pretty quickly under high light, can't store any more energy-think of them kind of like a battery, they have a capacity. Yes they are constantly growing and increasing that capacity, but they grow whether the lights are on or off, because they store that light in the form of carbs. so lets say you had 5 hours, then a 2 hour break then a 5 hour light, their night time is only 12 hours long, where as with a 10 hour light chunk would have a 14 hour long night, where the plants might tap out all of their energy supplies, thus slowing down growth relative to the 5+ 5. In the 5+5 as long as the plants don't "empty their reserves" during the 2 hour break, they should in theory grow as quickly as a 12 hour photoperiod. So why not just do the 12? well the algae is not as good at storing energy as the plants, so the 5+ 5 would give you fewer algae problems than the 12.

granted, as with almost everything in this hobby-this is all just speculation at this point...But anyone with hard evidence feel free to chime in.
james1542 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

Default Tank Lighting

Quote:

Thanks
Hello Two...

Aquarium plants are tropical and used to long hours of steady daylight. I have my tank lights on timers and set for 12 hours on and 12 off. This works well for my plants. For most plants 10 to 14 hours per day is good.

I've never heard of breaks in the lighting cycle, don't think the plants would do as well, but this is just one reporter's opinion. You're the tank keeper.

B
Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
DarkCobra
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Plants have the ability to handle cloudy days and days where sunlight fluctuates do to variable cloudiness. but nowhere on this planet do plants have 5 hours on followed by a break followed by 5 more hours. Always take your cues from your natural surroundings.
Nowhere?

A tree can easily provide deep shade, regularly in the middle of the photoperiod, as the sun moves in the sky. So can other obstacles, both natural and unnatural.

Don't take nature too literally. The sun doesn't go on and off instantaneously with the flick of a switch each day, yet our aquatic plants in glass cages subjected to this and many other unnatural occurrences grow fine anyway.

I've tried breaks and found neither improvement nor harm. Some say it helps with algae problems. Others use it to better fit a limited photoperiod around their personal schedules, to increase viewing time.
DarkCobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
2ToesTony
Algae Grower

The reason I was asking was because I was running my lights intermittently for the sole purpose of when I am at home the lights are on for viewing. I must be honest, I am probably going to kick myself for saying this, but I haven't had and algae problem in that tank. Touch wood.

I did however buy a used 50 gallon that was fully stocked with everything, and the guy told me he did have an algae problem at one point and he ran his lights for a straight 10 hrs everyday.
2ToesTony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
Nowhere?

A tree can easily provide deep shade, regularly in the middle of the photoperiod, as the sun moves in the sky. So can other obstacles, both natural and unnatural.

Don't take nature too literally. The sun doesn't go on and off instantaneously with the flick of a switch each day, yet our aquatic plants in glass cages subjected to this and many other unnatural occurrences grow fine anyway.

I've tried breaks and found neither improvement nor harm. Some say it helps with algae problems. Others use it to better fit a limited photoperiod around their personal schedules, to increase viewing time.
My reply was literal. Remember I said observe nature and learn. Implying everything you wrote in the first papragraph. However his question is: Which is better ? Not, Will this be necessary ? As to your second paragraph, frankly none of us know what affects short intermittent photo periods have.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #9
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
The reason I was asking was because I was running my lights intermittently for the sole purpose of when I am at home the lights are on for viewing. I must be honest, I am probably going to kick myself for saying this, but I haven't had and algae problem in that tank. Touch wood.
Start your tank's day later in the day. But make sure the total photo period isn't more than 12 hours. That includes not allowing any natural light into the room.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.