Shrimp ghetto food
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Shrimp ghetto food

Hi TPT!

I'm a fan of DIY and all kinds of improvisations when a commercial product doesn't quite fit the bill.

In my country the LFSs are quite behind these "new" trends of keeping shrimp. They don't have any products meant for shrimp. Although they sell them, mostly neos and amano.

Long story short, I like to improvise with food besides various equipment. One path that I've taken is to create a food for my shrimp as I suspect I'm doing something bad feeding them typical fish flakes.

In this food that I'm thinking on making myself I planned to include: cellulose, clay, hemp flour, dried aquarium plant trimmings, algae based gelatin as a binder and chitin.

The ingredients I'm planning on buying from organic/nature shops as they tend to be grown in clean environments (so they say).

What I'm trying to find out if there are others out there doing their own shrimp food. I saw there is a practice of feeding shrimp lettuce, spinach and other boiled vegetables but there is a risk of poisoning shrimps with pesticides.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #2
skystrife
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

somewhatshocked makes his own shrimp food and sells it here in the FS/FT board. He'd probably be able to comment more on what he does to make it.

I haven't encountered any issues with pesticides on my spinach, but I give it a pretty good rinse before adding any fresh veggie to my tank.
skystrife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
sapphoqueen
Planted Tank Obsessed

hi there i love your post!

My friend why to discover new ways when you can walk the good ones?

google for Imke's shrimp food and you will find good receipts all of them the best IMO

for dryed banana leaves ( you can use stinging nettle instead, walnut leaves are avaiable in your region also, mulberry leaves, cherry leaves, apple tree and such.... ) put some spirulina also ...

but you can find a ornamental banana tree i think and get a bity of that too LOL!
good luck!

my last batch of DIY food turned from bright green to black but they love it!
Old 01-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post

What I'm trying to find out if there are others out there doing their own shrimp food. I saw there is a practice of feeding shrimp lettuce, spinach and other boiled vegetables but there is a risk of poisoning shrimps with pesticides.

There is always a risk when you put something in your tank, doesn't matter if its fresh veggies or not. I feed organic kale, baby spinach and organic zucchini. I buy organic (though that doesn't mean pesticides weren't used) and I use a veggie wash, then I boil them for 3-5 minutes. Separate out on a plate, put in the freezer, then put in a ziplock bag. With all that I feel safer in what I feed them. Kale is a favorite of my shrimps and higher in calcium than Spinach. Stinging nettle is their absolute favorite thing in the whole world, I have it growing at my farm. But all of the plants are dead right now from the cold weather and our fridge died this week wiping out hundreds of dollars of food....including the last of the nettle I had boiled and frozen. Grrrrrrrrr.

I'm about to embark on making some of my own food as well. I've got spirulina, axastanthin, fennel and a few other things in as well (that I can't remember off the bat). Will be using agar agar as a binder. Will be experimenting a bit to find the best texture as I like the foods that are more easily breakable, not hard as rocks. Once growing season starts back up I'll be doing a lot of things with the nettle

So you can make your own food, but feeding them veggies is a common practice in the hobby. If you are concerned with pesticides, grow your own so you know exactly what's happened with them along the way Boiling the veggies is a good way to get rid of any possible pesticides AFAIK.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 11:07 PM   #5
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Jaime for the hint of freezing the leaves. Stinging nettle will be available soon so I'll stock that for later use.

Sorry to hear about the fridge bailing out on you.

You think there will be a problem using dried trimmings from my other planted tank? I have some plants that will always grow like a weed and I was thinking on drying the trimmings and use them for food but I'm reluctant to do that because of the ferts I use. Don't know how much Copper plants will store and that might end up harming the shrimp.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.