Hayden's ADA 45-f: The End - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #166
Hayden
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Thanks all, where could I get Amanos? Do I have to buy online, or is there a chance I could find them locally?
Hayden's ADA 60-f | Hayden's ADA 45-f | Canon Club #82 | ADA Club #05 | Teen Club #06
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #167
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Rachel is great on both prices and shipping if you can't find them local.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #168
Hayden
Planted Member

Hey guys it's been awhile. Photo updates coming soon, however, I'd like to report some problems I'm having with this tank. I seem to be in that stage where nothing is going right.
First off, my water is constantly cloudy. I replaced my carbon and did a water change, which initially did the trick, but it's come back again after only a couple days. It looks like a whitish cloud at first but it seems to be turning yellow, slightly green.
Secondly, algae is still bad. On top of spirogyra and diatoms, regular green algae seems to be in constant supply. I'm wondering if my lighting is too intense; perhaps I should move it up a couple inches?
Thirdly, three of my ricca rocks, which had grown to a size much larger than the actual rocks, now detached themselves. Most likely because I used cotton thread, which I now remember biodegrades. I really reallly hope I don't see this happen with all my others.
Oh, and my Eheim seems to be making "swishing" noises lately, as if there's water running somewhere. Usually I can just tilt it, and the air bubbles will come out, but it's not working.
Anyone who could help with these problems would be greatly appreciated, I would love to get this tank back to an enjoyable state.

That's too much text without a picture, so here's one of my little sister eating a Christmas cookie.
Hayden's ADA 60-f | Hayden's ADA 45-f | Canon Club #82 | ADA Club #05 | Teen Club #06
Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #169
Hayden
Planted Member

Week Nine Update

Well, this isn't going to be the prettiest update. Cloudy water and algae make this tank a mess. In my last post I think I pretty much covered all the problems, but I'll illustrate with pictures. I hope I can get this all fixed up by Christmas time. Once I get paid hopefully I can get Seachem Purigen and Clarity, as well as amanos. Of course other suggestions are welcome.

One more problem. As you can see, there is some brown algae on the glass that is just too hard to scrub off with a toothbrush. Any solutions?
Old 12-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #170
pwolfe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

For that algae on the glass, I'm becoming a big fan of 'magic erasers.' If you try it, be sure to use the plain ones as some have detergents added. All you want are the plain original eraser.
pwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #171
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (424/100%)

Get a small algae scraper or magnet.

Two Little Fishies makes a product ($6-$8) that is really tiny and perfect for tanks like yours so you don't disturb plants or substrate. They're a million times smaller than the MagFloat cleaners.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #172
Hayden
Planted Member

Great ideas guys, thanks a lot.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #173
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Use an old credit card or plastic card and just scrape it off the glass. Put your elbows into it! Sure, the algae bits will go into the water but shrimps or otos will pick it up somewhere eventually and eat it.
PeterN1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #174
ADAtank
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

RaZOr blade
ADAtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:49 AM   #175
Hayden
Planted Member

Magic Eraser worked wonderfully, at least for green algae. For the future I'm looking at that Two Little Fishies Product.
Purigen in today, Amano's in tomorrow (found a local supplier)- Things are looking better. My Goal was to get the tank looking good by Christmas, and I might just get there! Anyways, pictures soon if everything goes according to plan. Merry Christmas Everybody!!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #176
Hayden
Planted Member

Week Thirteen Update

It's been far too long since an update- with the holidays, sickness, work, and school starting again, I've just plain been too busy.
Anyways, much has changed in the past month. With new filter media, purigen, new algae scrubbers, and most importantly, Algaefix, most of the problems which plagued this tank have receded or altogether disappeared. Water is again crystal clear, spirogyra is gone, and diatoms and crazy green algae have receded drastically.
HC has grown in fairly well, not a complete carpet yet, but I've come quite a way. You can see I had to retie some riccia. This was due to a trimming mistake, and I used fishing line this time to ensure longevity.
Also, I added two amano's, but both mysteriously disappeared within a week..

The Two Little Fishies scrubbers are pretty great. They do their job well and make the whole process very simple. My only complaint is the magfox pipe scrubber doesn't fit in 3/8" tubes like it's supposed to. I'm considering cutting it a sliver smaller so it will..
In the near future I plan to purchase an ADA Spring washer for my lily pipes, as well as Do!Aqua Scissors and Pinsettes, and add fauna to the tank. I'm hoping I can find the Boraras and Pygmy Cories locally, but if not, I'll have to buy online.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:10 AM   #177
daitran89
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Nice! Filling in nicely ^^
daitran89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:37 AM   #178
tex627
Sponsor

PTrader: (21/92%)

I love the rocks! It's like something you would find out of a fairytale book!

Justin

^^ Click above to visit Aqua Design Innovations, Follow our Twitter, and Like our FB Page ^^

tex627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #179
Hayden
Planted Member

Thanks for the compliments guys!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #180
stuworrall
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

That tanks a stunner!
stuworrall is offline   Reply With Quote