best shops in RI?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Rhode Island

Old 10-01-2009, 02:12 AM   #1
indyglyder
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

best shops in RI?

I'm visiting Ri this weekend and what to visit a shop or 2 on the way home its a small state so I guess anything goes. which shops are worth checking out?

1-20 gallon breeding/growout
2-15 gallon breeding/growout
4-10 gallon breeding/growout

currently breeding hi fin red eye swordtails, kribensis, orange platys, trying others
DIY central sump filter w/auto water changing and auto water top off, DIY in-line co2 reactor.
indyglyder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 04:48 AM   #2
invert1
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

There's an AWESOME one on Wickenden St. If you are by the intersection of 95 and Wickenden you would go west and go like 4-5 blocks till you see the aqua building on your right, it's on a corner. If you reach the school on the right / that coffee shop on your left, it is one block back.

Aqua-Life is the name and George and his wife are really wonderful and nice. Super healthy fish (I even brought some Aspidoras I got there back to Boston) and they have pretty good prices on fish as well.
invert1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
alan j t
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)

o ya,i went there once, its alot bigger than it looks.
they used to have a shark tank in the window.
alan j t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 07:42 AM   #4
alan j t
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)

o and theres rumpford pets too,huge aquatic area
heres some directions http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...10shipped.html

and there is one on n main st.
alan j t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
invert1
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Never went into Rumford because they kept dogs in the windows and I don't like pet stores that do that because it's usually puppy mills but even if it's a real breeder it's not good for the puppies to be around so much noise and being displayed in store windows.

But I think AHill has some association with Rumford Pets and can tell you more; he's definitely around RI though.
invert1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Kidmoe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Visited Aqua-Life today. Great shop, the owners are very nice and helpful. They have a great selection of fish and plants. Definitely worth the drive if you live anywhere in the area.

Moe
Kidmoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
g33tar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

I checked out that Aqua-life one the other day after getting lost in Providence, and randomly coming out on Wickenden and it was right in front of me. Funny...i had gone looking for it a week before and gave up not being able to even find Wickenden street...

It was awesome though...probably had the most plants out of any store ive checked out. Almost EVERY tank had some type of live plants in it for sale. Crazy. Had some pretty reasonable prices too. Cheaper bulk prices for the neon tetras and cardinal tetras...was all i was really paying attention to fish-wise. Ill definately be going back.
g33tar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #8
hamsterman
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)

Aqua-life is okay, although their goods for the most part are a bit pricey for me. There's also RI Aquarium & Pet Center which had chocolate gouramis the last time I visited.
hamsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #9
timwag2001
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)

just a little late to post a reply but there is a place called creatures creatures creatures in north smithfield (i think). its been a long time since i been there but i remember an ok variety of fish. lots off bba in all of their tanks
timwag2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #10
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

Creatures creatures creatures was closed last time I checked. Critter Hut on post rd in North Kingston has a great owner/staff. A tad pricy but not horrible. Good healthy selection of fish (SA, African, aggressive/community, and also a nice selection of sw). If you want something they don't have they'll order it for you. Unfortunately they don't refill CO2.
Finalplay10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
g33tar
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Was in Creatures today. They do have some nice fish, but they recently got in trouble for improper care of puppies..last week I think. The owners seemed much nicer today haha.

Nice fish but I have never seen BBA like that before in my life. Its majestic. 2" strands of it blowing in the wind. Not too much plant-wise though.
g33tar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 AM   #12
CuzIsaidSo
Algae Grower

Creatures is a great place for fish not too many plants though. There's one owner thats a jack off but Anthony & Jim (the other owner) are great guys. I've been going there for years, I live in Providence and drive to N. Smithfield just to shop there.
CuzIsaidSo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2010, 12:20 AM   #13
Finalplay10
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (24/100%)

We need to get an AFA shop around here or something. Our LFS's suck ! They either sell puppies or just sell sickly fish.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
Xythus
Algae Grower

Ive known George and Irene ever since I came to Providence (Aqua-life owners on Wikiden Street) and they are very nice and willing to extensively discuss fish with you if you have a question. I buy my shrimp, betta and plants there, the stuff is usually-to-always in good condition, they take good care of their tanks.

Its true though, some stuff are very expensive. But then again, I find that Providence things are just overall much expensive than say, NJ or Georgia.

The size is overall pretty decent, a good variety, but don't expect super specific things. I wish they have more shrimp though.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #15
ronnie6989
Algae Grower

Thumbs up Aqua Life

Aqua Life in providence is been around for awhile. I been going there for over 25 + years. The owners, George and Irene are both very nice people. If you are looking for plants and the equipment to run them, They have plenty of all that. In this store you will find exotic fish and plants from around the world. If you dont see what you are looking for....just ask and maybe they can get there hands on what you are looking for. As some one said pricey, I do not think so, You get what you pay for. I am the type of guy that will not buy from a Petco or Petsmart because I do not buy my plant that are in a plastic bag sitting on a self. And there fish are ran on a main filtration system that effects all tanks tied to that system.

Ronnie

Last edited by ronnie6989; 01-12-2013 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: pic
ronnie6989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.