Actinic bulb just for looks?? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 01-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #16
funkman262
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I find it hard to believe that actinics (or blue LEDs) would fail to grow plants or corals considering the chloryphyll-a pigment peaks at around 435nm, chlorophyll-b around 470n, and the combined photosynthesis of all pigments peaks at about 425nm (even higher than the peak in the warm spectrum). I built my own LED fixture with twelve 3W Cree LEDs peaking at 450nm along with six 3W 6500K and six 3W 10000K LEDs to put over my mainly softy tank. About a year ago, just to test out if the blues alone would grow anything, I ran them with the whites turned off for about two months. I actually got really good growth, especially in my zoanthids. I see no reason why this would be incomprehensible, and why this concept shouldn't be used with plants as well.
funkman262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #17
Bluek24a4
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam T View Post
If you google "grow light leds" you will notice they are mostly blue and red. Honestly in a two bulb fixture a red bulb like an aquaflora or power glo and an ati blue plus would probably do a great job growing plants, but the color rendering wouldnt be so great.
For the last week I have been running a 460nm actinic bulb and a red Flora Freshwater bulb, and while I don't like the color anywhere near as much as the flora/12k bulb set up I had originally, the plants seem to be responding well to it.
Bluek24a4 is offline   Reply With Quote