Wanting to give CO2 a go, Need Advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
mrramsey
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wanting to give CO2 a go, Need Advice

Hi Guys,

I have been keeping fish for a little over a year. I recently rescaped my tank and went planted. I use STS for the substrate and have Java Ferns, Crypts, Annubias, Xmas Moss, wisteria and a couple strands of anachris. This is a 55g community tank with 108watts of t5 lights.

I recently had an algae bloom of bba and something else and have added some otto cats and started dosing with Tetra Flourapride. The algae is starting to subside rapidly.

I would like to set up a co2 system on here and need some recommendations as to what I should get. I have access to a supplier for co2 and I am not opposed to building/buying a custom unit. I have read a lot of mediocre reviews on the off the shelf systems.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
bigd603
Planted Member

Your best bet is to build a custom regulator. You will wind up with something excellent at a fraction of the cost had you bought the same thing pre built. Check out ebay for parts, or home brew shops for regulators. A well stocked home brew store that sells kegging equipment should be able to hook you up with a good regulator.

Swagelok sells excellent needle valves, though they can be pricey. Again, check no ebay links allowed I recently bought a B-SS4 metering valve off ebay for ~$40, when they retail at swagelok.com for $95.

The Fabco needle valves are also good and not expensive, the NV-55-18 sells for about $35 on their website.

As for solenoids, there's a million options out there. Burkert's are very popular and relatively easy to wire. The Clippard mouse solenoids are also very good, and draw very little energy. Really cheap too, I got mine for $24. You will need to come up with your own way to power it, but if you look around you should be able to find something.
bigd603 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
creekbottom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

check out the sticky at the top of the equipment section. There are some very good threads in there that will answer a lot of questions and get you going in the right direction.
creekbottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
mjalex007
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrramsey View Post
I would like to set up a co2 system on here and need some recommendations as to what I should get. I have access to a supplier for co2 and I am not opposed to building/buying a custom unit. I have read a lot of mediocre reviews on the off the shelf systems.
Best thing you can do is to do a search. There is a TON of information here--more than you need to know.
mjalex007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
n00dl3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (91/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjalex007 View Post
Best thing you can do is to do a search. There is a TON of information here--more than you need to know.
1+ research read research read research read... then ask questions when you're stuck on something.

The 'Search' button should be your best friend.
n00dl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)

+2, research is necessary. Lots of it. There's a pretty steep learning curve involved so you don't buy stuff twice.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
mrramsey
Algae Grower

Thanks for all of the info guys -

Can someone tell me if $65 for a like new condition Victor VTS-253Ais a good buy?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

CO2 is whole new direction for a tank like yours. With what you have in there now I would consider it optional at best. Yes it will grow everything faster, but none of those plant species require it. In short, you can have a lush planted tank without it and the stuff you are growing would be the kind of tank that could be lush without it. Take a look a the looooong thread in the Low Tech forum to see what I mean.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=99729

That said, I would not be one to tell you NOT to go this directon. It steps everything about planted tanks up a notch or two and that can be lots of fun. Work too. If you do go with CO2, you might want to consider some plant species that seem to need the CO2.

I have one CO2 tank and two without. Because of the work it adds, I would not inject CO2 unless I wanted to grow plants that seem to need it.
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (107/100%)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrramsey View Post
Thanks for all of the info guys -

Can someone tell me if $65 for a like new condition Victor VTS-253Ais a good buy?
Ya, but know you're only going to see 15psi out of it. That's fine if you're only use a glass diffuser or a reactor. An atomizer is out of the question.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.